Creaky powerbok hinge?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've noticed a few times when I cloe my powerbook I get a creak and resistence like it's a little seized. It's only occassionaly that tis happens.

I recently had my book in for repair to the screen and last night I had it really badly. I think it might be when the powerbook has been on for a long time and it gets hot, I don't know whethwer it's expanding or contracting or something but it was quite hard to close and it made a *horrible* noise. I was worried that the lcd might crack. I'm pretty sure it warped in some way as it went to sleep but kept waking up while still closed - I had to keep squezing it to make it sleep but tipping it vertically (to put it into the bag) kept waking it up.

By the time I got home (about 20 minutes) and it had cooled a litle, it would open and close several times without a problem and would stay asleep fine.

I haven't had a chance to tryt and replicate this but it only happens occasionaly. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a bit nervous about sending it in for repair again as the last two times it's gone in it's come back with 1. A big dent, and 2. various new scratches. However, if there's *any* risk of the screen cracking then I want it orted as I know full well Apple will refuse to fix it if that happens.

Just wondering if this was a common problem or not, I've heard plenty about warped lids etc. being normal but I haven't heard anyone mention the creaking lid issue.

All help/advice very much appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I had a creaky lid on the Powerbook that I had replaced in September 2003. (The return was down to stuck pixels, not lid issues tho.) It never occurred to me that the creaking might be down to heat.

What happened with me was that one time when I opened the lid there was a pretty terminal *crack* noise. From then on, the lid would be stiff and creaky when opened fully. I didn't pay much attention 'cos I was returning the 'book anyway.

D'you think giving the hinge a bit of a workout will help (wiggle it for a while?). I wonder if those four screws next to the hinge (two on either side) could be loosened to make it 'give' a bit more?

Thats all I got \

(The hinge on my replacement PB is great btw )
  • Reply 2 of 17
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    Well last night it was so stiff I was scared to wiggle it in case the lcd shattered. By the time I got home I wiggled it a few times but there was no resistence at all so don't suppose it helped.....?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    My 15" alu also has the creak. It developed over time and it pretty much makes one big crack sound every time I open it up. I don't like it but it doesn't keep the powerbook from performing its functions. The thing needs to go back to have the white spot problem dealt with and I hope it gets solved in the process. I never had the feeling that the screen was going to burst, but its a pretty good crack and I see no sign that it will solve itself.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Recently when I returned my Al PB for repair of the white spots problem I told them about the hinge creaking and asked if that was normal. They said it was not and that they would repair it along with the screen. After the repair the hinge is now wonderful. It moves like warm butter. If you have an Apple store nearby take it in and see if they will repair that problem by itself. Otherwise call in and ask Applecare.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I had this with my PB. The hinge ended up breaking
  • Reply 6 of 17
    *Gah* - breaking?!

Maybe I *will* give Applecare a call then. I need the book for the next few weeks for work but I'll give them a ring when it's calmed down a bit and arrange to get it sent in.

I assume your broken hinge wasn't covered? Did you pay to get it repaired?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    They replaced it. Opening the case should not equal broken hinge!

I love applecare!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    That's one good thing then. I was paranoid that if the scree cracked or something as a result of the stiff hinge they'd refuse to do it under warranty.

Spoken to them this morning and they confirm it isn't normal and suggested that only a minor tweak to the scws was required and that it would be quicker to take it into an approved serice centre to get it sorted.

A work colleague is taking his into a local centre on Monday so is going to take mine in with him to get sorted - hopefully. (He also says my hinge is noticebly stiffer than his 12" book)

thanks for the advice
  • Reply 9 of 17
    hmm

if I try to open the screen of my 15" Ti800, I need to secure the bottom half with my other hand, otherwise it will just raise right up in the air.

Has anyone found a way to loosen the infamous stiff hinge? I don't think this necessarily warrants a trip to Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    how come so many of you are having issues

with the laptops

did apple crank out a bad bunch or something ?

im looking around for a second laptop for my wife

& im hesitant to buy apple again after reading all

these reports about spots etc
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I think RadTech.us has a kit for adjusting your hinges. Will go an have a looky...

....and here it is.

For those with AlBooks not sure if they work. If you email these people they typically get back to you ASAP
  • Reply 12 of 17
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

with the laptops

I don't think you should worry about this. Apple sells a huge number of laptops per quarter. It is not unexpected that some have problems. The white spot problem was a little unusual but I believe that is totally solved now.

The good point is that Apple promptly and quickly repairs these problems. If a bunch of us were talking about severe problems that made these machines unusable and if Apple would not repair them that would be a different issue.

For example, the white spot problem was annoying but not fatal. I waited till I could be without my machine for a short time then sent it in. I dropped it off on Friday and it was ready on Tuesday. The repair was fast and they properly fixed everything I asked them to.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    barabara Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

with the laptops

Hesitant to buy Apple, you say? I guess I'd better not tell you what happened to my Dell notebook at work during the last 30 months. You might end up not wanting to ever buy a PC again.

Given the huge amount of notebooks Apple has been selling lately, it's only logical to have a couple of problems here and there. Nothing to worry about.

Good luck,

BaRa
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    RadTech's hinge adjustment system isn't all it's cracked up to be...use caution. And don't accidentally hit your PowerBook with things like screwdrivers.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I have this problem too. I do think it's heat related. It certainly seems so.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Well apparantly he's moved the hinge around a bit but isn't sure if it's fixed the problem - difficult because he didn't have it long enough to replicate the problem.

I guess I'll find out over the next few days/weeks whether there's any improvement. Keep you posted

cheers
  • Reply 17 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I bought my PowerBook last September, and over the last week it has exhibited this creaking problem. As I'm finally sending it in to get the white spots fixed \ I'll stick a note in about this as well.