Very frustrated with HTML editing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a large HTML page and would like to fix one graphic. I used to be able to open it in simple text and edit away. Can't do that anymore. If I open in TextEdit, it creates a webpage. I don't want that and can't seem to turn it off. I want to see the source code, (formated properly), and edit it. Is this too much to ask?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Get subEthaEdit man, Its free and its great.

Or if you wanna use TextEdit go to preferences and Check ignore rich text commands in HTML files. Its on the bottom left of the window.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I have a large HTML page and would like to fix one graphic. I used to be able to open it in simple text and edit away. Can't do that anymore. If I open in TextEdit, it creates a webpage. I don't want that and can't seem to turn it off. I want to see the source code, (formated properly), and edit it. Is this too much to ask?

In the preferences of textedit (if you're determined to use it), check "ignore rich text commands in html files". But you really should get a real code editor.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Thanks guys. Really.

I was getting so frustrated I couldn't think straight. I found a single, tiny error in my HTML code that prevented the image from loading and nothing would let me get to it.

I gotta remember to grab a cup of tea and cool down. Maybe I'll visit Dr. A this weekend. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    taco html edit is pretty good too (live updating preview )
  • Reply 5 of 6
    While we're on the subject, I feel compelled to include a link to the the recent html editor for beginner? thread.

SubEthaEdit rocks. Taco HTML Editor is good, but it really needs some TLC in the interface department. Yeowch!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yeah I tried out the latest BBedit demo the other day. I have not used BBedit since 10.1 I think when there was that bug that if BBedit was not hte front app and you clicked its window it would not bring it forward.

Well anyway BBedit looks like its still really nice. command B helps out A LOT ( it selects everything inbetween the { } you currently in or the () of the function you are in. But I still can't seem to pull myself away from subEthaEdit.