PowerMac 7300 + Mac OS 9.2.2 = true or false?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does a PowerMac 7300, 200MHz, 160Mb boot the last version of Mac OS 9? On Apple-History it says that it only boots Mac OS 9.1 but I thought that I would ask you guys, seeing as there are no computers there labeled to boot 9.2.2 as a maximum system. Also, would it be worth it to install 9 on it, seeing as it currently runs Mac OS 8.6?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Does a PowerMac 7300, 200MHz, 160Mb boot the last version of Mac OS 9? On Apple-History it says that it only boots Mac OS 9.1 but I thought that I would ask you guys, seeing as there are no computers there labeled to boot 9.2.2 as a maximum system. Also, would it be worth it to install 9 on it, seeing as it currently runs Mac OS 8.6?

Thanks in advance!

It just might.... but I read somewhere that 9.2.2 needed at least a G3 system.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Then let me state another question, is it worth it to upgrade from OS 8.6 to 9.1 or am I better served keeping the old system installed. Wamcom runs on 8.6, as far as I can tell, so are there any good reasons to install OS 9?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I run 8.6 on my iMac... it runs just fine. I would stay with 8.6, less overhead.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Technically, a G3 is required for 9.2.2. And really the only advantage over 9.1 is a whole lot of Classic support and stuff like that. Now, there's a little hack called "OldWorld Support" that lets you install versions past 9.1 on a pre-G3. My brother used it on his PowerMac 8500.

But personally, I'd just stick with OS 8.6. It's awesome.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

But personally, I'd just stick with OS 8.6. It's awesome.

Are you being sarcastic or do you really think OS 8.6 is "awesome"? I thought it would be hard to find anyone on these boards (except Mandolux, perhaps) that currently labels anything pre-Jaguar as "awesome"!

Would a PowerMac 7300 200MHz 160Mb run OS 8.6 acceptably? I'm thinking of picking up a used one, for the pennies in my pocket.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    8.6 is awesome... which is the reason I still run it on my iMac. I'm backing up the awesome statment.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, I'm not being sarcastic. OS 8.6 is basically all the good parts of OS 9, but without all the extra crap. OS 9 was a really, REALLY lame upgrade. I think that's why people here don't like it - it's basically the same as OS 8.6, so upgrading to OS 9 wasn't worth it.

8.6 is stable, ultra-fast, has many of the good features that are in OS 9, and it still has a non-crappy Find system. With OS 9, Apple released one of their worst kludges of a software program - Sherlock 2. Sherlock 1 in OS 8 was basically Find File with a web search tacked on. But Sherlock 2 is complete with a really terrible-looking metal interface, a big launch time, terrible responsiveness, and ADS built into the program! Yes, believe it or not, there are ads for Apple stuff in a little bottom panel of Sherlock 2.

The only other feature OS 9 really added (that I can remember) was voice passwords (totally, completely useless, which is why they are no longer in OS X). Multiple users, keychain, software update, standard views, contextual menus, the tear-off application menu, and appearance themes were all a part of OS 8.6. OS 9 adds no useful features.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thank you for your input \\/\\/ickes and Luca!