Key Caps in Panther... What the heck?

4fx4fx
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What the heck happened to Key Caps in Panther? I know I didnt delete the program. But its not in the utilities folder like it was in Jaguar. Dang it! I use that program all the time!

Comments

• Reply 2 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's tucked away a bit. Go to your System Preferences, and the International preference pane. In there, the third tab should say, "Input Menu," and one of the checkbox selections is for a "Keyboard Viewer." That's the new Key Caps. The utility menu appears as the flag of the current language/keyboard layout you're using in the upper right corner, by the clock. I would also recommend turning on the Character Palette option there where you can browse for characters and variations in all your font sets.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    system prefs>international> select keyboard viewer.

this will put a little flag in the menu bar, in the pulldown menu select

show keyboard viewer.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Thanks guys! I was getting concerned for a moment...

I know this sounds anal, but I dont like that flag in my menu bar. Is there another way of accessing the keyboard viewer? If not then I can just temporarily enable it and then disable it when Im finished, no big deal.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 5 of 23
    not that i know of.

i was like you, i panicked when i couldn't find it, so i was happy to find it again.

it is a weird splash of color up there isn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    On second thought, I might just copy KeyCaps from another computer with Jaguar. Sounds like the easiest way to access it on a regular basis without having the INTL keyboard layout menu item from now on. Thanks for your help though guys.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    That's what I was thinking about doing too, I don't like having that flag up there and the Keyboard Viewer seems to disappear on me, it acts really flaky.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's a bit buried, but if you go to...

/System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/ you'll find the KeyboardViewerServer.

Make an alias to that in /Applications/Utilities, rename it to KeyCaps, and voila. No flag necessary.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

On second thought, I might just copy KeyCaps from another computer with Jaguar. Sounds like the easiest way to access it on a regular basis without having the INTL keyboard layout menu item from now on. Thanks for your help though guys.

would that work? will the keycaps from jag work in panther?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No clue, but my suggestion will.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

I know this sounds anal, but I dont like that flag in my menu bar. Is there another way of accessing the keyboard viewer? If not then I can just temporarily enable it and then disable it when Im finished, no big deal.

Haha, I understand. I wouldn't like to have the U.S. flag in my menu bar either.

Luckily I am a dvorak user so I just get a DV.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

Haha, I understand. I wouldn't like to have the U.S. flag in my menu bar either.

Why not? It's not a political statement...just a flag.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

would that work? will the keycaps from jag work in panther?

Seems to!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

A flag can be a political statement - the German (post-WW2) black-red-gold flag, for instance, is a Democratic one, as the same flag was used in the (failed) revolution of 1848. As opposed to the black-white-red flag, which represents Monarchy and Empirism for most of the people.

Stars and Stripes represents the pride of having come a long way form 13 tiny colonies (the stripes) to a huge country of 50 states (for me, not being an American).
  • Reply 15 of 23
    <digression>

No, I was somewhat testing the waters as to whether he feels that the U.S. flag has been too Republican-ized, too 9-11/SuperAscroftPatriot-ized. Which of course it has been but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't also see the flag a non-partisan, innocent thing.

In other words rather than flag burning being the counter to Nixon, why not just wave the flag right back at them, (with long hair and filthy barefeet if you want). I'm partial to adopting and subverting rather than destroying and ignoring. Gays used the triangle that the Nazis "gave" them. Jews used the Star of David, despite/in spite of the Nazi's having abused it. I think anti-Bushers could just as well proudly use the American flag as-is (without desecrating or altering it or mocking it - which there is quite enough of as it is). Dissent while proudly waving the flag sounds non-contradictory to me.

</digression>

But yeah I can see not wanting "a" flag at all in the menubar which may have been all he meant.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I just don't want it up there because that icon is not as sexy looking as the rest of OS X, all jaggy and not refined.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If you really care about a tiny flag icon on your screen:

http://www.gently.co.za/archives/000004.html

Found this via macosxhints, searching for "keyboard AND flag AND icon". Guys (and gals), try to search before whining please?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

the symbol of modern day imperialism and irrational nationalism.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

the symbol of modern day imperialism and irrational nationalism.

Puhleez.

Only if you let the rednecks own it.

You're an American too. Wave it and say f-ck you right back at them. Take ownership of it.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Puhleez.

Only if you let the rednecks own it.

You're an American too. Wave it and say f-ck you right back at them. Take ownership of it.

see that's the problem. I am, thankfully, not american.