My Rant About All Things Fake and Artificial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This Story adds fuel to the fire with my disgust at all things fake and artificial. I dislike artificial colors and flavors. I don't like all the fillers and preservatives in processed foods. I don't like processed foods period as a matter of fact. I despise hydrogenated oils/fats. MSG is evil and sodium in excess which does not take much is bad for you. I never like artificial sweeteners.

What do I like you may ask?

Whole foods, herbs and teas as fresh as can be found.

Fresh foods are always better than prepackaged. Omega fatty-acids 3,6 and 9 such as are found in Flax seed oil. Plant based foods packed with vitamins, bioflavonoids, amino acids and enzymes. Grapes, apples, and lemons are all packed with antioxidants. Green tea is also packed with potent L-Theanine.

What are your thoughts? Are any in agreement with my views here? Do you despise fake and artificial foods?

What products do you find repulsive? Example: Spam, Twinkies..

What foods / nutrition do you find attractive and beneficial?

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm not quite as much as a health nut as you are. infact, i love twinkies. and the more processing a food goes through, the more likely i am to enjoy it. but (and despite a raging hypocriticism from meself) i have a strong distaste for fake people ("phonies"), and for many plastic situations.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Fake add-ons are the worst.

Whether they are inappropriate spoilers and tailfins on a car or breast implants that are waaaaay to big on a woman. Some folks don't seems to appreciate elegant design and feel gaudy add-ons make an individualistic statement.

They do. But not the one they were imagining...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My wife is a registered dietitian and one thing that she always gets annoyed about are the juice drinks and shakes. In general, you get rid of a lot of the good stuff and you're left with tons of calories. We had several of these juice bars open up in our town, and she was interviewed on a local news show here about it (she often is). Well, she blasted them. They didn't expect that - the news people just assumed they were good for you because that's how they're marketed - and so they never aired it. I think they wanted to do a pro-business promo and didn't realize what they were getting.

She also hates the fake fat in the chips, which isn't doing very well I believe.

Just to go in the other direction, though, I sometimes get annoyed with the belief artificial = harmful and natural = harmless in things like drugs and herbal supplements. There are plenty of extremely potent natural poisons out there, and there are plenty of utterly ineffective herbal supplements. Natural vs. artificial has very little to do with whether a drug has side effects or is harmful or effective.

Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

This Story

Ugh, that microwave popcorn is seriously toxic stuff. Walk into a dorm where someone has made that stuff and the smell is so strong and lasts days.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The thing that always cracks me up is that most health food nuts I know are in bad shape. A dose of intense cardio -- running, tennis, whatever -- can pretty much be your ticket to eating tasty food. Of course, there are people out there who are prone to high cholesterol, and there are those prone to high blood pressure, but I am lucky enough not to have any of these problems, so I don't plan on worrying.

But tasty food isn't necessarily artificial, it's just tends to be fatty. Deep friers are great things. I'm a big fan of french fries and mayo. It's a great combo.

As far as chemical additives are concerned, I'm looking forward to the next wave of genetically engineered solutions and I support meat irratiation, but I worry less about preservatives and more about my time in the 10k.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

This Story adds fuel to the fire with my disgust at all things fake and artificial. I dislike artificial colors and flavors. I don't like all the fillers and preservatives in processed foods. I don't like processed foods period as a matter of fact. I despise hydrogenated oils/fats. MSG is evil and sodium in excess which does not take much is bad for you. I never like artificial sweeteners.

What do I like you may ask?

Whole foods, herbs and teas as fresh as can be found.\\

And.... Krispy Kremes if I recall a thread from last Summer? Or was that not started by you? BTW, I had some Krispy Kremes about a month ago for the very first time, fresh from the oven to my kitchen. MAN. Probably the single worst thing you can ingest from a health standpoint, but they are damn good.

• Reply 6 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I totally agree with you. Some preservatives make me sick. Literally, stomach aches and some times throwing up. I stay away from most processed foods. I don't eat salmon any more. I look at all that nice fish, than the little label that says "Color Added". I now get headaches from fish and sometimes Hamburger Helper. But sometimes I can't help myself. I always take Acetaminophen with my Mr. Chows. (I get it in bulk at Costco.)
  • Reply 7 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

What products do you find repulsive?

Fat-free ice cream.

Quote:

What foods / nutrition do you find attractive and beneficial?

Scrapple!
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Eh, I'm not really bothered by all that stuff. I know I'll have to change my life style some day when my metabolism slows down, but until then I plan on living it up and eating as fatty foods as I want.

I guess it's not really unnatural but around where I live we have fausnacht day. Which are basically doughnuts fried in lard. They are delicious. I guess people around here are a little less health nuts living in amish country where the food is as delicious as it is fatty.

All this is to say that I don't enjoy a nice banana or apple...or ESPECIALLY strawberries! When go out into a field and pick your own strawberries they taste so much better!

I don't really care for twinkies or tastey cakes though...just not my thing.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Scrapple!

See the problem here is a failure to communicate. Scrapple is not a food.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My favorite thing from M*A*S*H was Clinger's genuine imitation mink stole.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

And.... Krispy Kremes if I recall a thread from last Summer? Or was that not started by you? BTW, I had some Krispy Kremes about a month ago for the very first time, fresh from the oven to my kitchen. MAN. Probably the single worst thing you can ingest from a health standpoint, but they are damn good.

Oh God, my mouth is watering from the thought of warm Krispy Kremes.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I used to be a strict vegetarian . . .well . .. not that strict

But now I just exclude Beef

but I eat home cooked meals as often as possible: vegetable stir fries, steamed vegies with togu, tempeh or sausages . . . but the meat is always organic --almost always . . . as I do love my Italian dry-pork salami!!!!

Milk is always organic with no steriods etc . ..

and generally stay away from processed

but Im not strict . . .I'm pretty buddhist about diet . . you know.. 'the middle-path' and all-that . . .

(BTW: in the Pali canon Buddha died by choking on wild boar . . . which means he ate meat) .

so I indulge my sweet tooth often: Super-Hot TamaleS <heat! are THE BEST . . . and of course dry salami . . . yum
  • Reply 13 of 27
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    If I drink anything with nutra sweet in it, I get a splitting headache and general icky feeling. I'll take regular sugar anyway. thanks.

The surprising this about what most of us eat from day to day, is that when you do go out of your way to eat some healthy or naturally prepared food, it tastes oh so much better than the crap we eat most of time. I have found this to be true, anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I almost eat cooked meals. Processed food has much more additive, and in particular too many salt (because the more salt there is, the more tasteful it happears).

Cooked meals is better, but recquier time. Let me thanks my wife for being a good cooker.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

I almost eat cooked meals

Not bulimic I hope Doc?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

]If I drink anything with nutra sweet in it, I get a splitting headache and general icky feeling. I'll take regular sugar anyway. thanks.

Nutrasweet is pure evil. I get that same jittery stomach / sick stomach feeling anytime I drink or eat something that has that crap in it. What is really distressing is sometimes in work environments I like to have some chewing gum on hand just in case I had garlic with lunch or whatever, and almost ALL of the chewing gum out there has nutra-puke in it.

Altoids for me, I guess.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i dont like excessive amounts of conservants either.

a big amount of candy with colorants gives me migraine. so often im limiting myself to mint candies with real mint. and no colors.

i try to eat healthy and to avoid excessive amounts of artificial stuff. so i prefer cooking from fresh ingredients rather than eating ready foods.

i get paranoid in supermarkets, all the perverted foods like whipped cream spray, liquid butter for pop corn etc. food that is not it should, it's as pervert and pointless as a plastic christmas tree..
  • Reply 18 of 27
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    fake hair

i was at the post office the other day and saw this large african-american women with the most hair i've ever seen. it was super long and done is fine braids. it looked like shit and quite frankly it was gross looking
  • Reply 19 of 27
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i get paranoid in supermarkets, all the perverted foods like whipped cream spray...

• Reply 20 of 27
    i'm all for fake tits. mmmm boobies.