NHL TIME!!! NBA and MLB wussies need not apply, nor visor wearing french guys...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lads and lassies, the Eastern Conference:

1. Tampa Bay\t84

2. Toronto\t84

3. Philadelphia\t84

4. Ottawa\t84

5. Boston\t82

6. New Jersey\t78

7. Montreal\t76

8. NY Islanders\t73

9. Florida\t65

10. Buffalo\t63

11. Atlanta\t62

12. NY Rangers\t58

Ottawa has two games in hand, but I'd say there's good competitive product on the ice this year! Any of the top 6 could still end up anywhere, the top 7 even. The Rangers haven't a chance in Hell, but I include them to laugh, and the East may be slightly inflated because they have the Pens to beat up on at least 3X this season, but this side of the continent actually looks stronger this year.

Who's going to win it?

And what about the west:

1. Detroit\t85

2. Colorado\t82

3. San Jose\t81

4. Vancouver\t81

5. Dallas\t75

6. Calgary\t74

7. Nashville\t74

8. Los Angeles\t72

9. St. Louis\t68

10. Edmonton\t66

11. Anaheim\t63

The top teams are strong, but Dallas, Calgary, and Edmonton always show some guts down the stretch, any spoilers?

I think it's going to be a particularly good post season race this year. Some desparate older guys playing to win too, they know they ain't coming back if there's a strike.

Hey, if the playoffs started today, the buds and the habs would meet in the first round!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Grapes is a fruitcake!

Seriously though, I think the EC 8 are pretty well decided barring bad injuries to one of the teams. I don't know about the exact order but the 8 won't change I don't think.

Out west I think Edmonton with the addition of Nedved will find a way in, and LA will find a way out. I also think Vancouver will win the division this year (homer alert! homer alert!)... Colorado has been pretty average all year, despite their tremendous talent. I don't think they're a hungry team, basically.

PS - As a dedicated Pens fan I would like to point out the following:

Islanders suck!

• Reply 2 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to this year's playoffs/ Perhaps more than usual, since I'm a big Colorado fan (used to like the Nordiques) and I like the offensive fireworks they've got going. I don't know how well they'll fare in the playoffs, but if their goalies get hot, which can happen, I don't think anyone else in the league has a chance.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the winner this year will come from the East. The East seems stronger than it has been in the past. Ottawa is getting tougher, the Leafs seem almost lucky enough to win. Jeresey can do it any year it seems. I wonder?

And there are good teams in the West too, but I think they'll run into the sort of gutsy competition that has them worn out by round four
  • Reply 4 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yeah, it's nice that the NHL has gotten out of the west-is-best situation the NBA is mired in right now. As a Devils fan, I'm obviously biased, but unless Stevens can come back and get into rhythm by the playoffs, I don't think they'll beat Ottawa, though I think their chances against Philly or Toronto are better. I think Boston could be a darkhorse team since aside from NJ and maybe Montreal, they have the best in goal. If Philly stabilizes in goal (Burke has been not quite what people expected), they have the best D outside of Ottawa. It's why I don't think Tampa Bay or Toronto will reach the Cup finals. I tend to favor the Sens, if their goaltending is up to par. Chara will be an absolute menace during the post-season, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Conn Smythe candidate.

I think the Avs' despite some great goaltending and always excellent offense will make it. Their D has suffered a whole lot and it's their own fault. Foote and Blake can't hold them all off, and Aebischer (had to check the spelling on that one) has been great but I have a feeling he's not quite up to dealing with the pressure of leading a Cup winner. Now I'm reading that the Avs might fire Granato and take Quenneville. While Quenneville is surely a better coach than Granato, and LaCroix's inevitable bonehead moves plus the inevitable and eventual exposing of Granato's lack of coaching experience with a Rangers-waiting-to-happen team, it would just pull the rug out from the Avs' Cup hopes this year. I'm thinking that Joseph is a good goalie, but he's never going to get over the hump and win a Cup. I think his team doesn't really think he will either. I'm thinking that San Jose might come away from it as a Cup player if Detroit implodes again.

I think it's Ottawa's year.

PS: the fire sale is officially on in Manhattan tonight.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Two NHL threads!?! I'm a happy boy! I think the stretch run in the East is going to be incredible. I do wonder if some of the teams will burn themselves out late in the season/early in playoffs. It could end up being like those Dallas/Edmonton matches in the first round. It won't really matter who wins, because both teams were wrecked after the series.

That being said, without Stevens the Devils won't win. Boston still isn't deep enough to get past the stifling checking Thortons line will see in the playoffs (and Thorton will throw innumerable hissy fits from all the obstruction he'll see). Ottawa simply doesn't have the heart to win and will crumble if they face the Leafs early in the playoffs. That and Lalime has zero confidence. Philly has a shot but they don't have the goaltending to win it all. And if my precious Leafs lose Eddie at any point in the playoffs it's all over for the blue and white.

In the West, Vancouver versus Detroit in the conference final, Vancouver will win in 5. Joseph won't play - The Wings will go with Legace after CuJo's first shakey performance.

One thing I'm sure of - The Cup is coming back to Canada.

• Reply 6 of 26
    Don't be too sure. Brodeur can steal a series or three himself. While I don't think they'll win it all without Stevens, they can cause havoc with the top seeds, maybe reach the finals if they gel at the right time and Brodeur stands on his head. Basically, it's a question of how important a goalie is in a Cup run. NJ's guy is head and shoulders above the rest of the Eastern conference, but the team in front of him isn't as intimidating at it has been.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    As long as the Flames get into the playoffs, I couldn't care less what happens (as long as a Canadian team wins).

I wish we'd dump Turek. Of course no team would give more than a case of pucks for him right about now...
  • Reply 8 of 26
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

[...]

One thing I'm sure of - The Cup is coming back to Canada.

I'm not quite as sure, but I'm hoping. I would even settle for a Toronto Cup, assuming that Ottawa falls short, again.

But, speaking of falling short, how many years is it since Toronto has won the Cup? While the rest of us in Canada - especially those of us with ties to Montreal - snicker, I will pull for Leafs if they make it to the final - promise. I kinda like Toronto - lived there for a year - and would like to see a big parade down Yonge.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    There is no need to remind a Leafs fan how long its been since the Leafs won a Cup. We are all too aware. I'd cheer for Ottawa if Alferdson didn't play for them. Though, I lived in Ottawa for a couple of years and I'm just not sure the fans there deserve a Cup. But better Ottawa than an American team, I guess.

Oh, and it wouldn't so much be a parade as it would be a month long bloody riot. Toronto will burn if the Leafs win.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I wish we'd dump Turek. Of course no team would give more than a case of pucks for him right about now...

Obviously Sutter and the boys share my feelings about Turek. They just put "Large" on waivers.

• Reply 11 of 26
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    why wouldnt us ottawa fans deserve the cup? this isnt nicknamed hockey country for nothing. tickets are at an all time high, the only reason tickets werent big b4 was the uncertainty of the team staying. who wants to become a follower if the team is gone in 2 years? now that there is stability ottawa is definitely hockey country. last years playoffs, every second car had a sens flag on it. this year will be even sweeter. burn leafs burn!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there are too many teams in the NHL playoffs?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there are too many teams in the NHL playoffs?

Yes, any team from any location without snow on the ground at least part of the year should be disqualified before the playoffs even start. (Just kidding, folks)

Yes, the playoffs are too large. It makes the regular season almost irrelelvant. I have wanted changes to the rules in this regard for a long time.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Not only are there too many teams in the playoffs, not only is the post-season too long as a consequence (a team can potentially play more than half a regular season to win the Cup -- 7 games in each of the four series), but the regular season is too long too. It's all about revenue, but with the majority of teams losing money, fewer games would actually cut the losses to some degree. Of course players, or rather the richest players, won't like it either because their salaries can't be justifed with fewer games, nevermind how well they can be justified now. Otherwise, players could actually hone their skills during the season, potentially the play would improve, especially on those last games of a road trip or post-road trip letdowns. I'd love to cut 10 games or more from the regular season, and do division winners and a wild-card post-season. Imagine the play in the Eastern Conference right now if that were the system!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

(a team can potentially play more than half a regular season to win the Cup -- 7 games in each of the four series)

7x4=28

There are more than 55 games in the regular season, dude.

I agree the regular season is pretty long, but limiting the playoff teams that severely would cut out a lot of good hockey... we all know that it'll never change, anyway. Might as well just try and enjoy it.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

7x4=28

There are more than 55 games in the regular season, dude.

Holy brain cramp, Batman, I was thinking that added up to 49!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the playoffs are the best part of the season. You always get some great series. If anything, a shortened season might provide for fresher players in the post-season. But that ain't happening.

What they really need to do is start earlier, shrink the pre season down, and let teams carry 5-6 more players for the first 20 games, so that there's less emphasis on training camp. That and move the all star game to the off season. Do all of that and it might be possible to have this thing wrapped up by the end of April.

PS, the Leafs just administered a 6-2 drubbing to the Islanders. OK, so it's the Islanders, but they sure do play with a lot more comfort when Belfour minds the net. And Leetch greets TO fans with a 3 point effort.

If the old guys hold up...

I really think this is going to be a great post season. So many experienced guys across so many teams, and many of them know this is their last chance. The last team standing is gonna be a glorious collection of stitches, loose teeth, and broken bones.

If the Leafs win the cup, you're all invited to party at my place.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'll root for Leetch, but not for friggin toronto! I like the amount of teams in the playoffs, but they need to shorten the regular season. It's way too long. They should also move the trade deadline up a month.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Leetch is my new hero. What was impressive about that drubbing is that the Islanders usually pound the Leafs pretty hard, especially since that playoff series a few years back when Tucker performed the knee-ectomy on Peca.

I'm all for a 60 game regular season and 10 teams per conference in the playoffs. There is nothing better in the world of sports than playoff hockey.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    move the all-star game to the off season? are u crazy? theres a million reasons why that is a bad idea. but first things first, u are a big nhl fan right? see, no one gives a shite about the pro bowl like they do about the nhl, nba and mbl allstar cuz theirs are in season, keeping everything fresh. mid season all-star means some valuable resting time for the up-coming big stretch. if the season is over and the champ is named, thats it, thats how the season should end. bad idea.