Close

Weekend at Bernies II one-ups it though
  • Reply 22 of 40
    This gets my vote

from IMDB

Quote:

Plot Summary for

Core, The (2003)

Scientists discover that the Earth's core is about to stop spinning. This will cause tremendous natural disasters, wiping out life as we know it. A team of scientists is recruited in a crash project to send a ship and bomb into the center of the Earth to prevent the catastrophe.

Summary written by Jon Reeves {[email protected]}

• Reply 23 of 40
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Let's not forget how Jeff Goldblum used his PowerBook 5300 to infect the alien mothership with a computer virus in Independence Day, thus saving the world.

But yeah, it's pretty hard to beat The Core.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

The Big Lebowksi, despite being a character driven comedy, has the complex plot of a film-noir-style detective thriller. I cannot imagine how it can possibly be described as stupid.

Daver clearly wasn't playing the "Smoke & Drink with the Dude" home games, and thus missed all the levels of enjoyment the Dudeness & Co bring to the flick. everytime i think about that movie, i get bob dylan stuck in my head for days. it's bliss. ...la la la la la...

i can't remember the stupidest movie i've ever seen. so many hollywoods come to mind. my friend once asked me to explain the point of "the mask" (with jim carrey; not the worst or stupidest, but pretty bad). the answer i gave in the movie's defense was dispicable. "you see, this guy gets this mask. and when he wears it, stuff happens. mix in a onscreen romance, and then the credits roll." and my friend's like, "so, why did i just waste two hours of my life on that?" "cuz, we thought jim carrey was gonna be funny." [queue dylan]...la la la la... [...]
  • Reply 25 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, the mask had a really dumb storyline. It was okay, but not that funny compared to other stuff Jim Carrey has done (like Ace Ventura and Dumb And Dumber).
  • Reply 26 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well, the mask had a really dumb storyline. It was okay, but not that funny compared to other stuff Jim Carrey has done (like Ace Ventura and Dumb And Dumber).

The mask also had Cam Diaz. All negative aspects can be balanced out here.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    psycho 2, 3, 4
  • Reply 28 of 40
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Daver clearly wasn't playing the "Smoke & Drink with the Dude" home games, and thus missed all the levels of enjoyment the Dudeness & Co bring to the flick. everytime i think about that movie, i get bob dylan stuck in my head for days. it's bliss. ...la la la la la...[...]

To set the record straight, The Big Lebowski is one of my very favourite movies.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    yeah, stupid story line != bad movie

Super Troopers is hilarious, but is the storyline in intelligent in anyway?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Eugene has inspired me to throw my .2 cents in. In LOTR why didn't the main fighters (Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli) and THE EAGLES, just take care of business? The flashbacks...sheesh. Frodo and Sam (and fisheater) off by themselves with THEE ring...The pompous ending. Bahhhhh.

Heh heh, just poking a little fun... At least these other movies mentioned were made with unpretentious intentions...

I would have mentioned the last two Star Wars movies except they DON"T have a story line...
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

I would have mentioned the last two Star Wars movies except they DON"T have a story line...

come now, bash them for the acting, the dialogue, the crummy CGi, but you can't bash the story, the storyline in both episode 1 and 2 are great...well, once you cut out that stupid battle in episode 1 with the gungans.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

well, once you cut out that stupid battle in episode 1 with the gungans.

And all the talking. In the whole thing.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that lots of the SciFi Channel's original content has incredibly stupid stupid story lines. I like SG-1, but that's about it (and I really only ever watch it when I'm bored anyway). I've seen the first 15 minutes of so many of their original movies and shows that it's not even funny. Their ability to take interesting concepts and then utterly destroy them with hideous plot execution (and acting/directing) boggles the mind.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    "I'sa gonna havta-a a greea-a sir-a", J.J. Binks
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

I'm gonna go ahead and say that lots of the SciFi Channel's original content has incredibly stupid stupid story lines. I like SG-1, but that's about it (and I really only ever watch it when I'm bored anyway). I've seen the first 15 minutes of so many of their original movies and shows that it's not even funny. Their ability to take interesting concepts and then utterly destroy them with hideous plot execution (and acting/directing) boggles the mind.

This is true for the most part but, Farscape RULED! Storyline(s), characters, SFX, soundtrack, langauge..etc.

speaking of farscape(which was cancelled)

http://www.watchfarscape.com/stories/1069131601.php

Apparently the fan campaign actually worked! and a 4-part miniseries will be airing sometime in the future.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

And all the talking. In the whole thing.

I don't deny that at all, the dialogue and acting was pretty vapid, but the STORY is still a strong one.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

I don't deny that at all, the dialogue and acting was pretty vapid, but the STORY is still a strong one.

And without the talking and the acting, there's just a lot of running and fighting. Sounds good.

At any rate, I'd argue that the story's not particularly unlike any other myth-based movie (like the Matrix, LOTR, etc). Good boy leaves home, fights evil, returns home, etc etc. It's all Joseph Campbell.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

And without the talking and the acting, there's just a lot of running and fighting. Sounds good.

At any rate, I'd argue that the story's not particularly unlike any other myth-based movie (like the Matrix, LOTR, etc). Good boy leaves home, fights evil, returns home, etc etc. It's all Joseph Campbell.

The story is still good though, it's just not very well executed...

Star wars has never been known for it's good acting or dialogue though

and, just because many modern stories are variations on an old theme, doesn't make them any less valid. If that were the case, why bother at all?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

This is true for the most part but, Farscape RULED! Storyline(s), characters, SFX, soundtrack, langauge..etc.

speaking of farscape(which was cancelled)

http://www.watchfarscape.com/stories/1069131601.php

Apparently the fan campaign actually worked! and a 4-part miniseries will be airing sometime in the future.

Yeah, I liked that one too. Is it still on anywhere?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Personally, I thought the plot development for Signs was pretty weak.