Panther Poisoning......bad beef?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey, I've been off of AI for a few days, this thread title is stupid, sorry about that!

I finally gave in and installed Panther on my 600Mhz 12" iBook w/ 384Mb RAM. It's not bad, speedwise, but within the first 30 minutes I discovered that Safari wouldn't stay opened thirty seconds before crashing. Same thing with Mozilla. Software Update would hiccup and crash too. MS Word did it some today too.

Not wanting this to be a Genius Bar post I have to put the question out there like this to those who might know if this is a widespread issue or if (more likely) this is indicative of an installation that just didn't "take".

Here's a bit of the code that Panther's crash report app shows me:

Date/Time: 2004-03-05 01:50:19 -0500

OS Version: 10.3.2 (Build 7D24)

Report Version: 2

Command: Safari

Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Version: 1.2 (125)

PID: 1625

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbbadbeef

So is it like the crash report says (note that last bit)? Have I gotten 'hold of some Badbeef? Should I reinstall from the ground up? Running on IE is just not good!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Did you do an "Archive and Install", or just an Update (the default setting)?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I just did a regular Update.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Googling for 0xbbadbeef brought back one hit:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darw...WQAssertions.h

Where one finds:

// CRASH -- gets us into the debugger or the crash reporter -- signals are ignored by the crash reporter so we must do better

#define CRASH() *(int *)0xbbadbeef = 0

Your WebCore installation is bad. \
  • Reply 4 of 7
    That's what I suspected, there's a lot more "webcore" references in the rest of the code listed in the crash report. Sooooo........do you guys think that the best remedy would be to do a totally clean installation....wipe the drive and start from ground zero?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well, you could do that or you could manually (carefully!) delete the webcore files from the System folder and use Pacifist to reinstall the components.

If that fails, yeah, you could try an "Archive and Install" reinstallation.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I'll pull out the book and read up on the "Archive and Install" option. With the exception of a few recent projects, I have a fairly complete DVD archive of this machine's files. Sounds like it's time to shock the pool.....to get that Baby Ruth candybar out of there!

D
  • Reply 7 of 7
    A note of thanks to you guys, the WebCore installation on top of 10.2.8 must've been dodgy. Here I am, spending a beautiful sunny Saturday re-installing everything onto my iBook. Looking on the bright side, this is a good time to streamline my organization....