Martha Guilty

tmptmp
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yet, Kenny Lay roams free...

Quote:

Martha Stewart was convicted Friday of obstructing justice and lying to the government about a superbly timed stock sale ? a devastating verdict that probably means prison for the woman who epitomizes meticulous homemaking and gracious living.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    LOL, it just strikes me as humorous...who's next, Christopher Lowell?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    To reiterate what tmp posted, "Yet, Kenny Lay roams free..."

I was gonna post this. She's not going to do 20 years. Nonetheless, she's gonna hurt for awhile.

"Yet, Kenny Lay roams free..." Indeed.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I hope they put that Trading Spaces lady behind bars too. So who's next, the Queer Eye guys nabbed for extortion and laundering? (ooh, that's a bad joke...)

I can't imagine she'll get anywhere near the full sentence.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Free Martha!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    She will probably get a fine and a year in jail. She deserves it too. Her greatest punishment will be, however, the decay of her empire. To loose that much just to avoid a loss in the stock market-wow. The feds gave her a chance to make it a lot less painful but her arogance go the most of her. She'll get no tears from me. Think of all the people who have spent time in jail for stealing food and then think about people like Martha and the rest of the super CEOs that have falling from grace and think how much they have stollen. Just because they are used to the good life and wear a suit doesn't mean that their form of stealing should be easily excused.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    dale soreldale sorel Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Just because they are used to the good life and wear a suit doesn't mean that their form of stealing should be easily excused.

"Only little people pay taxes..."

• Reply 7 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

LOL, it just strikes me as humorous...who's next, Christopher Lowell?

na...the fab 5(from queer eye for the strait (and miserably pussy-whipped) guy)

<edit>

geee.....i hate that show.....

</edit>

but seriously, she pissed so manny 'little' people off on her way to the top, did you not expect them to throw stones as she tumbled down?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    What a crock of shit.

Martha is getting jobbed here.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    It seems pretty weird to me. It looks to me that she is guilty of lying to the gov't and therefore obstructing justice, and whether she did insider trading is left in some sort of purgatory.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I could not believe it, my mom is actually upset by this ruling. She thinks Martha was just picked on and all this ends up doing is hurting more people than it needs to-the Martha Stewart compnay stock holders. Maybe my mom has a point?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

What a crock of shit.

Martha is getting jobbed here.

Yeah, and OJ was just a bitch-slapper. She deserves what she gets. Done.

I'm fed up with the rich and famous sliding off teflon legalities.

Hope the bitch she serves time with re-decorates her high and mighty sensibilities.

• Reply 12 of 26
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    All these new designs featuring vertical stripes...
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I could not believe it, my mom is actually upset by this ruling. She thinks Martha was just picked on and all this ends up doing is hurting more people than it needs to-the Martha Stewart compnay stock holders. Maybe my mom has a point?

Yes, Martha Stewart's company and all its employees is in a world of hurt right now, but that's Martha's fault! We can't let powerful people of the hook just because they are important to the lives of other people. Actually, the Feds tried to deal with her-they didn't want to have to prosecute. She didn't get convicted of insider trading, she got convicted of lying about insider trading and covering up her mistakes. You know, the stuff we teach children in school not to do.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I am not saying Martha is innocent or deserves no punishment, but this is a pathetic witchhunt on the part of both the government and the media.

Ken Lay walks the streets, free as a bird.

****ing bullshit.

FREE MARTHA!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    They get closer to Lay all the time. The case against Enron is more complex than Stewert's.

As far as I can tell Martha heard that the CEO was selling stock and so sold hers too. Big deal.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'd rather see Martha get a fitting punishment for what she did AND see the other corporate criminals get fully prosecuted than see Stewart get off easy just because everyone else does. I don't like the sentiment that because everyone else is doing it, that she or anyone else should be handled with kid gloves. She helped make a lot of people poor too.

Put Martha behind bars, no more than 5 years IMO. Put Ken Lay in jail, a really bad jail, for the rest of his life.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Groverat, that's not very bright--the two cases have nothing to do with each other, and if you've been following them you'll know that the noose keepos tightening around Lay. Martha lied to the Feds--and this is what happens when you do that, and do it poorly. Just because she takes a fall has no impact on what's happening with Enron.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Who did she make poor?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

It seems pretty weird to me. It looks to me that she is guilty of lying to the gov't and therefore obstructing justice, and whether she did insider trading is left in some sort of purgatory.

That's precisely the thing. She would have been wrist slapped with a fine and maybe some sort of probation for insider trading. The big deal is that she lied about it here, there and everywhere. She said she had a verbal arrangement to stop-sell at $60. All she had to really do was put in a stop-sell at $50 after getting passed the info and the SEC would have never batted an eyelash.

She deserves whatever punishment she gets for being a tard.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Not trying to defend Martha, but let's just say I think this whole case was one big diversionary tactic.