Higher Capacity Batteries

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been looking and see that NewerTech came out with higher capacity batteries for the Tibook, and was curious if anyone knew, or thinks they will do the same for the AlBook. Does anyone know how long it took for them to come out after the Tibook release?

Another question...HOW is this possible? I am guessing it's the same size, so how do they manage to fit more juice in them if Apple can't?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    A battery is limited in three ways.

1) The voltage it can produce. This is limited by chemistry.

2) The charge it can store. This is limited by engineering up to a point. The batteries are just better engineered and there is newer higher density technology out there...

3) The current it can produce. This is limited by a combination of engineering and chemistry.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    in Regards to the TiBook expansion batteries, if you notice, each rev, the benefits get less and less, it's because each rev, apple used the best battery tech they could at the time(that fits their form factor), just as they are in the current Albooks. I think it took a *while* before such battery upgrades were available for the Tibooks. I'm sure it will take quite a while, but it will be a very welcome upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I guess I'll just have to buy an extra battery soon anyways. I was hoping someone would say "oh yeah it'll be out within 6 month!"

Of course I knew this wasn't the case so I was prepared for it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Or get a Titanium, which is basically like getting a battery upgrade.

Seriously--I won't be upgrading until the battery situation on the portables is at *least* as good as it is with my Ti 1Ghz.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I couldn't give up my 1.25" AlBook I love it too much. I am going to have to buy a 7200RPM HD for it though, sometimes I think that my brothers 733 QuickSilver seems faster. Then again he does have a gig of ram and I only have 512. But I blame it on the HD.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I couldn't give up my 1.25" AlBook I love it too much. I am going to have to buy a 7200RPM HD for it though, sometimes I think that my brothers 733 QuickSilver seems faster. Then again he does have a gig of ram and I only have 512. But I blame it on the HD.

I would just get the RAM, did you get yours on one chip?

I'm kicking myself for not upgrading to one 512 chip, that's going to make upgrading to a nice cool 1.5 GB a lot more expensive and inefficient

I think I'll get another GB of RAM for now, bring me to 1.25 GB, then when later I'll get another GB to max out.

oh yeah, another big reason to get more RAM instead of a faster HD, having a 7200 RPM HD will cut your battery life substantially, whereas having more RAM will likely give you more battery life.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Will bigger HD hurt battery life that much?

I was looking at the power specs of the drive I wanted, and while I don't really know what everything means, normally the power usage was only .1-.3 higher really. That isn't THAT much is it?

Current

What I want

But yeah, I need either more RAM or a faster HD...not sure which.