Using "Speech"

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, not sure if this is better in this group, or if it should be in the Genius Bar... move it if you feel the need.

I have activated the Speech Recognition on my iMac (which has a built in microphone)

I have named my computer (Computer), and the round floating Disc is on my screen, every time I speak I can see the volums control moving - so I know it can hear me... but it is being so disobediant!!!!!

I say "Computer, switch to iTunes" and it ignores me.

I say "Computer, empty the trash" and it ignores me.

Is there a step I am missing?

In Speech Prefs I have it turned on, it just doesn't seem to be doing what I say!!!! Please somebody tell me I am missing a step.

Les T

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Make sure the listening key (esc by default) is turned to listening. Even if you named your computer, you need to toggle listening on or off.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Or it's likely that speech just hates you

It's very finicky, works half the time, and really isn't that useful... not really more efficient than mouse/keyboard (esp considering the misses).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yeah, you probably have it set to listen only when the escape key is held down.

Also, this is old technology, so even when it is paying attention, it is still finicky. This technology first showed up on the Quadra AV series back in the early 1990s. It's been roughly unchanged since then, for the most part.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Yeah, I think it just hates me! Damn Stupid Computer!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I've found that Apple's Speech recognition is oftentimes like the Newton Handwriting Recognition engine. Maybe you should try beating it at its own game. Instead of saying, "Computer, switch to iTunes", try saying, "Left Foot, Call and Chair the Wharf."
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

Yeah, I think it just hates me! Damn Stupid Computer!

Maybe it just hates your accent -- voice recognition on Mac is strictly "North American" (whatever that means)... Try imitating George W. Bush -- it usually works for me...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yankeedoodle

Maybe it just hates your accent -- voice recognition on Mac is strictly "North American" (whatever that means)... Try imitating George W. Bush -- it usually works for me...

No no no, voice recognition on mac is completely internationalized (English), they used many english variants and accents to train the voice recognition neural network. Last year some guys from apple came to our school and gave a presentation, speech being one of the topics. The guy who presented it had a thick australian accent and was performing voice recognition almost flawlessly. Was mind boggling for me, since I could barely make it work in my simple American speech.