Music Player in OS X Public Beta Please :-)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all, i came across a pic of the public beta that apple had in 2001 of Mac OS X 10.0 and it had this music player in the place of iTunes at the time. As soon as iTunes came to os x it was gone from the OS which is sad as i liked the look of it. Simple and cool looking. Does anyone know if this would work in panther? If one could rip it out of the installer or .pkg file and use it on todays os x? Or does it need something deeper to be there? Be cool to try.

This is how it looked like

I'm sure someone that is reading this has a copy around of the public beta or 10.0 that may have it.

What ya guys think? \

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Yes, I have a copy of 10.0PB and this player is there. It is quite a nice looking application but unfortunately, I have never had any luck running it on any later OS version than 10.0.4 (if I remember correctly).

Problem is that it is relying on some private Frameworks in 10.0PB which went public in some revised form later. In 10.0.4 you could still fix problems by symbolic linking to the public Frameworks, but this broke with later versions.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Pretty close to an iPod now that I see it again

iPod didn't come out until later but they were teasing us with it without us even knowing it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Dang....if you could extract it out of the disc you got there could you put it on a server somewhere so i could give it a go...i would really like to make this work. Unless someone else knows a way around

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    If it helps any, Audion (www.panic.com/audion/) has a skin that is very close:

Skin: Xplayer1.1

Author: Jeremie Hornus

http://www.panic.com/audion/faces.php?p=7
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    It was good back in the old days.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

As soon as iTunes came to os x it was gone from the OS which is sad as i liked the look of it. Simple and cool looking. Does anyone know if this would work in panther? If one could rip it out of the installer or .pkg file and use it on todays os x? Or does it need something deeper to be there? Be cool to try.

This Music Player was quite crappy... I think most users did not like it at all, since it was slow and had no added features. I don't think it will be worth the struggle to reanimate it. You'll be better of with a skinned modern audio player or with a minimized iTunes window...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Dang....if you could extract it out of the disc you got there could you put it on a server somewhere so i could give it a go...i would really like to make this work. Unless someone else knows a way around

Frank_t

I did extract it a little while ago and it does not run (at all). As others mentioned it wasn't a great player, which just leaves its looks which can obviously be resurrected with a skin on a different player.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Yeah i guess you guys are right....was a idea....i'll stick with iTunes i guess...dam you apple why can't you let us put skins on iTunes!