Longhorn Brushed Metal Interface

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Longhorn "Aero" interface looks familiar. It's a good thing Longhorn won't come out any time soon.

http://www.flexbeta.net/gsurface/405.../screen/ie.jpg

http://www.flexbeta.net/gsurface/405...oadmanager.jpg

[edit: Never post large images inline like this! They destroy page formatting and take forever to load on slow connections. -- Brad]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    What a freaking joke.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Damn that's ugly... but from what I hear that is just a "placeholder" UI, not what's going to ship.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    that's brush metal? wow... if they think that looks good....
  • Reply 4 of 16
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member

Placeholder or not, it's an ugly rip off. I hope it ships that way so we can make fun of it. But by the time Longhorn ships (in what...'08 now?) Apple will be on to its next interface and MS will have to copy that before they release Longhorn.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    all I see is a metal wannabe gradient
  • Reply 6 of 16
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Can you believe they found a way to make Windows' menubar implementation worse?? Now, not only is the menubar not in a static place, its in the middle of the window. The only place I can think of that would be less-intuitive is in the statusbar. The interface designers at MS must be smokin' some pretty powerful stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    actually, what really irks me is that steve capps has the unmitigated gall to say stuff like this to macminute with a straight face. yes, steve the start/task bar is such a wonderful innovation. and no, microsoft doesn't come off as a copy-cat at all. (see above for the source of my sarcasm, among others). and how the mac can't seem to get away from a folders and desktop metaphor, but what the holy hell has microsoft done that's so bloody different? last i checked, windows still uses folders (oh, sorry, directories) and desktop for its metaphor. and i'm sure they'll rip off expose for longhorn, too.

...and he just felt like throwing in that g4-as-a-stepstool comment at the end just for kicks.

steve, don't think people give you crap because you "went over to the dark side." i think they don't like you because you're a dick.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I've never seen brushed metal. They can have a stronger, and darker grey gradient, until they add texture I'm not bothered by it.

Cough
  • Reply 9 of 16
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I think it's pretty funny that a guy who does user interfaces would name his company in a manner that it needs to be explained how to pronounce it!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Rok

Doesn't it seem a bit funny that there are all these Apple "Refugees" running around telling us how they "feel" current OS aren't evolving yet they haven't done shiza themselves.

Steve Capps- Yawn..if you've done anything for windows it isn't evident. It's still a poorly designed UI.

Jef Raskin- where are you man. I hear a soundbite or two and then you disappear.

Hey remember the ex-Apple Eazel team that was going to revolutionize Linux UI....gone bye bye.

All you young programmers in college. Or just getting out. The future depends on YOU. Don't expect anything from old horses like Capps. He has the experience but no longer carries the desire to change the world. I don't expect anything from this buy but high billable hrs for his client with little in return.

I'm just fine with the desktop metaphor for now. Perfect that first and then we can move on to something else.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I use the brushed metal remover so all my brushed metal is smoothified, I like the look, I was also looking at my alubook from a weird angle that made things like much darker and I liked the way that looked too.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Wow, guys. You are really behind the times with this one. This was discussed months ago from October of last year.

Take a stroll through this thread:

Microsoft do brushed metal

Note to self: remember to finally add that clause to the Posting Guidelines about not posting outrageously large inline images.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hey remember the ex-Apple Eazel team that was going to revolutionize Linux UI....gone bye bye.

They were re-hired by Apple to do Safari. That worked out pretty well except for a few people who complain "wahahaha, it's not complicated enough, I want a browser that's difficult to use." No names.

They also created Natilus, the GNOME file finder. It's JUST a file browser, they were never going to "revolutionise the Linux UI." It's a terrible file browser at that... very old skool spatial. I'd take the Mac OS X Finder or Konq over Natilus any day.

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    FVCK MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they can rot in hell.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Jef Raskin- where are you man. I hear a soundbite or two and then you disappear.

He's right here.

He's written a book, speaks at a lot of conferences and workshops, is working on his Humane Environment project (THE, you can download it, I have no clue how it works, so I guess it's not all that intuitive), and is a really nice guy.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeilwerthReborn

He's right here.

He's written a book, speaks at a lot of conferences and workshops, is working on his Humane Environment project (THE, you can download it, I have no clue how it works, so I guess it's not all that intuitive), and is a really nice guy.

Ahhhh yes Jef is never too far

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=8109

Fed-up Raskin slams Panther

Quote:

Raskin claims: "The interface is so complex, there's so many parts to it, that I have to go to other people and ask them how do you do this."

In a lot of ways he's right. But computers today have to support a plethora of file formats, codecs and applications. Becoming the next "Apple" here is going to be an immense task.