The Hobbit coming...sometime

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D814VP480.html

"EW YORK (AP) - Peter Jackson won't be returning to the Shire any time soon. The Oscar-winning director is planning to film "The Hobbit," the prequel to "The Lord of the Rings," trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, but two studios must first fight over legal rights to the film.

Jackson said New Line Cinema has the rights to make the movie, but MGM has the rights to distribute it.

"I guess MGM's lawyers and New Line's lawyers are going to have a huge amount of fun over the next few years trying to work it all out," he told reporters recently in Los Angeles, according to AP Radio. "I'm obviously busy for a couple of years on 'King Kong' so those lawyers can just go at it for a long time."

Hey, it's just a little tease, but it's enough for me to get the geek juices flowing.

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    hopefully it will be as good as the others
  • Reply 2 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I liked Fellowship and Towers, but I was very irritated by the extremely melodramtic portrayal of Return. Basically, it could have been dramatic without being melodramatic. Fortunately, I got no sense from The Hobbit that there's much room for melodramatic interpretation. Of course, it might have to be pruced up a bit because the whole story reads something like a jamboree.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    the... um... trailer?

"spoiler" link below

ANANOVA

-

credit where credit is due nonetheless

gamers may be more interested in this version

and I recently rewatched the animated version, which I first saw in 77 when it was new.

i'd rather watch latham's, if not jackson's... but the likelihood of an 'approved' film is lower than one might think... IIRC, the rights to The Hobbit may still be held by the production company that did the animated version... certainly the Tolkien estate may have some leverage, but if memory serves, it would involve an additional layer of negotiation at least.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Certainly a layer of negotiation that can and likely will be navigated expeditiously if those involved wish to tap the same wellspring of revenue that LotR drank from for the past few years.

Smaug's cave ain't nothin' compared to the wealth they could have if they work out a deal.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The Hobbit is beyond boring.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

The Hobbit is beyond boring.

Really?? I thought that it was by far the best book out of the whole series.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The hobbit, compared to the trilogy is lighthearted. He is very near in his concept with the Fellowship. Very balanced between the light and the dark.

The Two towers, and the return of the king are much darker, and thus inherantly more turned to melodrama. The hobbit will be great.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    more dwarves, no orcs. (trolls, goblins, and evil elves though).

Wrong Robot: your sharemation link asks for login

and one has to hope they don't use Nimoy for the music video this time
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Smaug would be worth the price of admission for me.

Jeff
  • Reply 11 of 13
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Wrong Robot: your sharemation link asks for login

bummer, I signed up really quickly, didn't read any fine print or anything, I juts wanted to share the 80k sound clip, but photobucket doesn't support .mp3

are there any sites like photobucket that support any file type?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Smaug would be worth the price of admission for me.

Jeff

Amen to that. The whole greed thing at the lonely mountain, Laketown. Oh baby!

If Jackson did it right, it would be priceless.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Goblins ARE Orcs.

The elves are not evil; they simply don't like dwarves. It is the wood elves of Mirkwood who send Legolas to Rivendale in Fellowship. (Left out of the movie, Legolas goes to Rivendale to report that Gollum has escaped from the Mirkwood elves--left in their care by Gandalf himself.)