Apple HD offering is below par... Way below

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does apple watch the competitive landscape close enough. Their hard drives sizes are well below par in todays market. All the similar priced and /or modeled computers all have over 100HD sizes with iMac stays at 80gig with higher sizes if you want to pay more.

The competition has larger hard drive sizes for the same or lower prices. With all the movie and dvd making going on with macs, one would think the larger hard drives would go hand-n-hand.

Gateway 610S Media Center

80GB HD - $1499.99

120GB HD - $1699.99

200GB HD - $1999.99

Gateway Profile® 5S (40Gig) $1099.99

Gateway Profile® 5X (80Gig) $1499.99

Gateway Profile® 5XL (160gig) $1999.99

iMac 15", 17" & 20" (80gig)

$1300, $1800, $2200

BTO option of 160 gig for extra $100

Huge lack of HD space here, with pennies/MB now-a-days, we shouldn't be getting half of the industy standard with the macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    With all of the graphics professionals out there, one would think graphics cards would go hand and hand, as well.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    This'll change. There was a time when apple's HD offerings were very competitive, and there were times when they were stagnant. ebb and flow.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

ebb and flow.

My vote for the coolest saying ever.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

My vote for the coolest saying ever.

Patent Pending

Patent Pending

Patent Pending
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I hope the difference between those different models of Media Centers isn't just hard drive space. No way I am paying $200 to move from a $60 hard drive to a $90 hard drive.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Hey.. the iMac updated in Nov/2003.. when did Gateway roll out their Profile/610S line?

IMHO, Apple should put 512MB of all Pro-line.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    It's simply a way for apple to make it's products look less expensive than they really are. Toyota does the same thing with their cars. "Starting at 23,499" but when you price one you realize they don't make them without at least the basic options package usually running around $1200. My figures are off but you get the idea.

I personally hate it. I wonder if they up the ram in applestore floor models? It seems they wouldn't want their product seeming slow due to lack or ram...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

I wonder if they up the ram in applestore floor models? [/B]

Of course they do!! Last time I checked out a G5 at an applestore, it had 1 GB of RAM.