e-mail stamps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    shagstlmshagstlm Posts: 112member
    Is it me or does this proposal defeat the purpose of e-mail all together. I realize everyone is fed up with spam...but there have got to be a hundred programs for windows/mac that generally take care of the problem...we still after all get junk mail in the USPS mail so what would be the point of charging.

It realld does defeat the purpose...if I have a friend who lives in another part of the country that I e-mail quite frequently (and informally) why would I want to pay a penny...which 100=$1...to write him for something that used to be free...by the way we are also already paying isps for the internet.

My question is this...who gets the money...sure as hell better not be bill gates...or any corporation/gov't for that matter. I think if this ever came into effect the usage of e-mail would go way way way way down. The beauty of the internet is that there is litteraly no manual labor that has to take place in order to send an email..therefore what does the penny go to. The USPS charges because they have to pay people to deliver, sort etc. With the internet/email there is already money being paid to the isps for this type of activity.

This is not (in my opinion) what the internet was intended to be used for...but then again so are a lot of things we commonly use.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I am not going to pay anyone anyone money to send email. If the morons do introduce this as a standard using m$ vallet as the payment solution, I will personally invent a new protocol to communicate.

Bill Gates needs to retire and shut the **** up.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Yahoo is currently working on such a system

Cite?

I would be interested in reading about their progress, etc...

It's weird, how something completely free, in freedom of use and price, can turn out to be so fscked... An example of why law and order is needed in society. m.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    Gates is convinced that OS's can't be secure enough to prevent spam in the first place. I'm sure glad in some ways that he is feeling this way, because that means good news for us.

But on the other hand he is proposing some solutions that will hurt all of us, because of his monopoly status.

The solution is simple to spam. Just like your house, you only provide keys to whom you trust.

Say you register with a web site, you provide your email plus a automated key. They have a copy so they can send you email.

In your Mail you have a automatic list of those authorized to send you mail, generated over time by receiving emails from them.

You then have a choice to stop incoming mail from someone by denying them a new copy of your key. You can click "Renew Key" button and a automatic email is send to those you wish with your new key.

Authorized servers or eMail programs can automatically read the new key without a human intervention.

Once this method is set up, spammers will just give up. Matching a name and a ISP is hard enough, but with a occasional changing key. It's next to impossible.

Why isn't email encrypted automatically is the same reason Gates was "told" to leave his OS loose. The NSA, the FBI, the CIA and all the rest.

Who put's out 20 year old insecure operating system? and then gets a light slap for acting bad?

Microshit
  • Reply 25 of 26
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    The email stamp is the dumbest idea I ever heard. Ok so we already pay 30-40/month for our internet service and now he wants us to pay per email on top of it? What a crock. Like someone stated all this is going to do is penalize the majority of people who aren't abusing email. And let me guess, Microsoft is going to share the profits with the US gov't right Bill? What a jackass.

The only real workable solution is to do what is already being done on a state to state basis. "Spam advertisments" will eventually all be required to have ADV in the subject line, and provide clear opt-out options. Spammers suffer fines on a per email basis for non-compliance. I believe Utah has some pretty stiff penalties.

Ultimately I think there should be a no-mail list much like the no-call list for telephone solicitation where the only ADV mail you'd receive would be from opt-in lists.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    The Utah law:

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ut.html

Summary of current state laws:

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/summary.html

If that site is accurate, it looks like there are already plenty of laws in effect that are generally being ignored. So its not about solutions so much as ENFORCEMENT. If all I had to do was filter our the "ADV" messages that'd work just fine.