How well do CEO's know one another?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They probably run into one another at tradeshows, symposiums, boards of various charities, etc..

But is it common within the computer industry for CEO's to know each other on a friendship level?

How does HP's Carly Fiorina and Jobs' hook up on the whole HP branded iPod deal? Over dinner? Or do lower level execs put agreements like this together?

We know how Jobs and Dell don't get along. And somehow I see Gates and Jobs as cordial to one another on the outside but really despise each other.

I can just see Gates watching Jobs keynote unveiling the new mini iPods and turning to Balmer to say, "Where does he get all those wonderful toys!!?"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    jobs pretty much hates everyone
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    The ultra-rich are all on first name terms. My boss (once removed) is worth several billion, and is on a first name basis with Jobs, Gates and many, many others. It's a big club. I don't think they are good friends or anything though.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Yeah, they all know each other to some extent. I deal with some big hitters since I work in a startup (that's kicking ass), and it's really obvious that connections are a big part of it. Of course, in order to get in the club you do need to start a business that works and capitalize on it. When you make some good money for yourself and your connected investor, then you get to join the club as a junior member. At that point there are a number of paths you can take, and if you're not an idiot they're all very lucrative.

But it's 4 years out of your life to get there. Starting up a tech company is not easy.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    Oh there is a "club" beleive me, I sat in on one, at a exclusive country club. I was young and had a job as a caddy and driver.

They were all the big wigs, bank presidents, CEO's, etc., it all has to do with location, being close to where they work and live for regular meeting.

A lot have a rule not to talk "shop", they played bridge for a dollar a point and talked about other things to get their mind off the incredible resposiblity that is on their shoulders.

Trust me you could almost see the hundreds, even thousands of lives and jobs weighing on their every decision, some are not happy.

Of course if a couple of pal CEO's hit it off, of course big deals come of it, the wives come and meet each other at parties, if they hit it off they invite each other over for dinner etc.

Same thing for any group of people that have something in common.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish

Of course if a couple of pal CEO's hit it off, of course big deals come of it, the wives come and meet each other at parties, if they hit it off they invite each other over for dinner etc.

Same thing for any group of people that have something in common.

I read an interview with Jobs 3-4 years ago in Fortune magazine where he said that he and Gates had dinner w/ their families.

Hey they are the real players in their field from the start. Now, with success and time they've become...friends?

After reading that I whenever an argument over MAC/PC/Dead/Better/Worse, etc. starts.

• Reply 6 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    and if Jobs does have Gates over for dinner (doubt he sends the Gulf, Bill must have his own),

do you think he jokes about Bill stealing recipes and copying the look and feel

if return visits to the Gates kitchen reveal clones of menu systems and layout?

Steve gets new brushed aluminum appliances, suddenly Bill orders new brushed metal appliances.

• Reply 7 of 7
    sailfishsailfish Posts: 163member
    Sure they are pals, why does the Apple Stores have big signs selling OfficeMac in the windows?

You think Jobs would be pushing iOffice and putting out a Windows version by now.

They get together over dinner, discuss buisness. Jobs says he has all these great things he would like to do and Gates ignores it and drinks heavily.

Jobs ribs Gates about Windows security flaws, Gates responds with customers are nothing more than cattle joke, they will take anything he will feed them.

Jobs says he doesn't think that way, Gates says evil manipulation and the Stockholm Syndrome has served him well. Calls people just cheap bastards and whines about how the Asians are stealing Windows, the Fed's, Linux, and his cronnies at the SCO screwing up and letting that confidential memo loose.

Theres a 10 minute silence only broken by Gates wife making conversation about dessert.

After a bit of whining about how he has no friends, Gates passes out and all three of them have to carry him to the car.