MSN Messenger

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm have problems with MSN Messenger (yeah I know but none of my friends will move). I can't get it to accept file transfers from other computers. Everything else works except sending files. I've opened the ports in the firewall, and PCs on the same network can send files over MSN so its not the router blocking but for some reason my MSN won't do it. Runnning MSN 3.5.1 and OS.X 10.2.8. Is there anything I should also do and has anyone else had this?

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    superdsuperd Posts: 32member
    I've recently switched over to a new open source MSN client and so far I'm loving it... it's called aMSN and is avaliable at Sourceforge.net . I too was having file transfer issues aMsn has resolved those. It also supports all of the emoticons avaliable and the side avatar (picture). Plus has a large number of skins and preferences that can be set...

I highly reccomend it over MSN 3.5.1...

Superd
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Hinds

I'm have problems with MSN Messenger (yeah I know but none of my friends will move). I can't get it to accept file transfers from other computers. Everything else works except sending files. I've opened the ports in the firewall, and PCs on the same network can send files over MSN so its not the router blocking but for some reason my MSN won't do it. Runnning MSN 3.5.1 and OS.X 10.2.8. Is there anything I should also do and has anyone else had this?

Cheers

Chris

I'm having the same file transfer problems using MSN. I've *never* successfully sent a file using MSN Messenger 3.5.1 (OSX 10.3.2.). I assumed it was a restriction on the University network. But if other people are having the same problems... ? If no ones got any ideas, I'm gonna try out aMSN.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Is there a preference somewhere in aMSN where u can stop the received files folder from showing up on your desktop? I want the received files to just go directly to my desktop. Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 10
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Using the latest Mac MSN client, I can send files to other Mac users only. I *was* able to send a couple of files to a Windows-using friend one day after the MSN network had been "down for maintenance," but it stopped working one "down for maintenance" period later.

I smell conspiracy. Really.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Generally, I have no problem sending files from Mac MSN to PC MSN. If I do, the problem tends to be something involving a Firewall.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Well i feel less than competent right now...

Can someone explain how to get aMSN to work on 10.3.2?

The sourceforge instructions confused me.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

Well i feel less than competent right now...

Can someone explain how to get aMSN to work on 10.3.2?

The sourceforge instructions confused me.

Download the Mac OS X disk image and install it like any other app. That's what I did.

aMSN v0.90 for Mac OS X

Works just fine, but it's ugly as sin!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    thanks a lot

not sure how i missed that...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    superdsuperd Posts: 32member
    There is also a "pack" that contains different themes and skins for aMSN... I don't know what it is called but it's at the same site. I agree the instructions for aMsn are terrible but the guy who is mainly reponsible for it isn't a native English speaker as far as I know... to install the extra pack... just download it and then double click to install... requires a restart I think... or just an application quit and restart (aMSN)... Check out the different themes... some of them are pretty nice...

Superd

P.S. sometimes it takes a minute for peoples

pictures to show up in the picture box... (bottom right corner)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Another plug for aMSN.

It may not look good... It may be written in TCL/TK... but it has all the extras that MSN has without using the MSN client... I will never go back to gaim. (unless I start using AIM)