Filemaker 7 (Next)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone heard anything more about this? I heard it would be announced between Jan 1 and the Filemaker Developers Convention in August!

Dying to get my hands on it....specs sound awesome!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My dad is a beta tester. He's told me a little bit, but since I have so little knowledge of database stuff I really didn't get it. However, he says that it's really awesome if you're into databases. There is no more need to have a bunch of files open at once - everything can be put into a single file to reduce clutter. I really can't say more than that because I honestly don't remember. The only other thing he really said was that it'll be a while before it's released.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

My dad is a beta tester. He's told me a little bit, but since I have so little knowledge of database stuff I really didn't get it. However, he says that it's really awesome if you're into databases. There is no more need to have a bunch of files open at once - everything can be put into a single file to reduce clutter. I really can't say more than that because I honestly don't remember. The only other thing he really said was that it'll be a while before it's released.

Thanks for the info...it is supposed to be released by August....supposed to be a radical change in design for filemaker!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Filemaker 7 has been talked up so long that, if it were any other company, we'd be calling it vaporware.

I understand it's a ground up rewrite. But I have a couple new databases to rework this year, and would have loved the chance to see a public beta. Then I'd at least know whether it would be worth waiting for.

I also have the Daylite CRM on my desk right now, but the learning curve seems higher than Everest and it installs a separate "Openbase Server" into the guts of OS X. Something about this setup disturbs me. Guess I prefer my Apps to reside in the Applications folder only.

Filemaker was supposed to debut a Sales Management program, and I was hoping we 'd see at least this at MWSF.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Filemaker 7 has been talked up so long that, if it were any other company, we'd be calling it vaporware.

I understand it's a ground up rewrite. But I have a couple new databases to rework this year, and would have loved the chance to see a public beta. Then I'd at least know whether it would be worth waiting for.

I also have the Daylite CRM on my desk right now, but the learning curve seems higher than Everest and it installs a separate "Openbase Server" into the guts of OS X. Something about this setup disturbs me. Guess I prefer my Apps to reside in the Applications folder only.

Filemaker was supposed to debut a Sales Management program, and I was hoping we 'd see at least this at MWSF.

I agree its been forever since the rumors were flying. I too am in the beginning stages of MAJOR projects and hate to spend a lot of time on something that will be antiquated once this comes out. Biggest downside I hear about Version 7 is that it won't run in classic. While I love OSX and use it 99% of times, much of my user base will not be running it.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Yes, FileMaker 7/Next is OS X only. According to what my dad is telling me, it's adding nearly every feature that FileMaker developers have been begging for, for years. Total rewrite, total overhaul, and hopefully it'll bring FileMaker forward and make it more competitive with Access. A lot of people consider FileMaker to be "toy-like," because it's easy enough for normal people to use. The problem is, my dad's clients often have a database of their own when they hire him, that someone who knows very little about FileMaker tried to make. And they usually suck and have to be completely replaced. This won't stop people from making their own crappy databases, but it will allow those who know it really well to harness a lot more power. Should be worth the wait from all accounts.

One other tidbit I remember is that the amount of information you can store in a field has been greatly increased. Fields can now have something like 2 Terabytes of information stored in them, which is just a ridiculously huge amount of text.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Think Secret is saying Filemaker 7 will be demoed at Macworld, but not ship until second quarter 2004.

I guess half my wish came through!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    A new Think Secret story says March 9th or 10th is the day.

It's about time.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Even I am psyched for this upgrade, and I'm no database junky. FM is a very good skill to have in the workplace though. I'm going to get it just to keep myself "up to par" as it sounds like the actual means of creating the database structure has changed (and for the better)... sounds like an entirely new application in some respects.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

One other tidbit I remember is that the amount of information you can store in a field has been greatly increased. Fields can now have something like 2 Terabytes of information stored in them, which is just a ridiculously huge amount of text.

i believe you mean a clob

aka a char binary large object also known as a text column

datatype in other db's

some other choices for enterprise use are

oracle 10g

postgres

for small scale use

mysql

firebird
  • Reply 10 of 36
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Well, I am a database junkie, so this news is great for me.

I started in FM 4, gotten comfortable with 6 and now 7 looks poised to blow me away. I've been learning SQL, so the addition of tables to 7 is wonderful.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Even during the recession, if you knew SQL, it was pretty hard *not* to be employed... great skill to have. Unfortunately I am not in posession of the same.

• Reply 12 of 36
    There is a AMP-hosted event in Chicago on March 4th. It's a Non-disclosure type of gig. Could be interesting!
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Apparently FileMaker is asking for people and companies who are selling software products built on FileMaker 7, to be mentioned on the day of the release. The deadline for submissions is tomorrow. So it's probably soon.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    March 1st has arrived and we have no leaked screenshots or even the box cover image.

Kinda makes you miss the good ole days of Mac the Knife and Brett the Intern.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    So has anyone confirmed that there's any kind of media event next week?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Earlier this week my dad went to a FileMaker-related conference in Chicago. He was actually able to fly in from Minneapolis, attend the conference, and fly back that same day. Not sure what they talked about there.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Earlier this week my dad went to a FileMaker-related conference in Chicago. He was actually able to fly in from Minneapolis, attend the conference, and fly back that same day. Not sure what they talked about there.

Think Secret was saying the release would happen this coming week....one can only hope.......oh PLEASE let it have:

1. Folders for script organization (subfolder support would be even better!)

2. True arrays

3. Developer tools for menus (ala menu control)

4. All the other nifty things listed in the Think Secret article

Here is hoping!
  • Reply 18 of 36
    One of the main ways I use Filemaker is for contact management. I'm hoping for a one-click "Sync with Address Book" feature.

It should also be able to sync with other databases (e.g on laptop), Export vCard format and be compatible with launching Mail and Safari.

And I'm hoping they've come up with a way of having the new Filemaker Applications all use the same Contact files. We should not have to type addresses and phone numbers over and over again.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Frank777: there is really no way Apple could build in address-book syncing without forcing you to use a specific layout/field definitions for your data (not a good idea). But you can easily build what you are asking for with AppleScript. Bi-directional syncing is a bit of a trick, but it can be done. And you would have to think through all of the special cases for yourself anyways... There is no magic solution in syncing data.

You can already launch Safari and AddressBook.app either through AppleScript, or by putting in urls in your database (see macosxhints for the addressbook url type. There is no need for anything new there.

And why not simply tie all of your databases into a common contacts file? This seems to be what a relational database is all about...
  • Reply 20 of 36
    http://www.fmpro.org/news/195213622183/

Well.....looks like today is the day!!!!! Moyer Group is a high up FSA member..so they obviously know that today is the release day

Awesome!