Is there an Active desktop equivalent in OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I personally don't really need it, but my friend, a long time windows user that pretty much only uses his tibook now, was asking me about it, he used to use the feature on windows and wanted to know if you could do it in mac OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I personally don't really need it, but my friend, a long time windows user that pretty much only uses his tibook now, was asking me about it, he used to use the feature on windows and wanted to know if you could do it in mac OS X.

Active Desktop is a terrible feature. However, it is easy enough to simulate on the Mac. Just open a bunch of applications and allow them to run in the background.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Depending on what he wants to do, there are programs on versiontracker.com that will put websites on the desktop, and others like Konfabulator that will put cool widgets in the background.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    His best bet is to get something like Konfabulator, active desktop on windows is very unstable. company I work for we dont even allow people to run it(it isnt even on option)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    One of my clients (I fix computers (PCs) under the table) was bitching about how slow her computer was... untill I turned Active Desktop off.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    There's also stevenf (of Panic)'s free Web Desktop.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    What the heck is Active desktop actually supposed to do?

Someone recently turned it on with our ancient P3 300 / Win98 laptop here and it made the screen paint horribly. I didn't see what the benefits/features were, but then again I didn't play with it much as it made things unbearably slow on an already unbearably slow laptop.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It's like Konfabulator.... with way uglier widgets.