Gateway to close all Country Stores?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ALL COUNTRY STORES CLOSING WITHIN TEN DAYS original post

Wanna hear a rumor?

Well, for those of you that never appreciated the service you got at a

Country Store - be prepared to deal with only phone people that speak

98% Indian and 2% English. Oh, and ship your emachine/gateway hybrid

back to the factory for repair... at your cost.

The rumor is that Gateway will close all it's Country Stores (Service

AND Sales) within the next ten days. This will allow them to write

off the first quarter of the year. Adecco temporary persons will come

to the store to assist in the closing and no employees will receive a

severance package.

Typically they close the store and will grant your severence package

if you agree to stay two weeks and help them close the store...

possibly not this time. They are considering no severence packages at

all.

The emachine/gateway merger is finalized on Monday. They always close

on a Monday. If they don't close this Monday, it's likely they will

close the following monday, says gateway inside senior management.

Is it true? Time will tell

Yeah, you won't find that on google... that came from a phone call and

an email - reliable sources... I work at Gateway

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    There is no language called Indian.

There are over 60 distinct languages spoken in the country of India, the most prominent being English and Hindi. India actually has almost as high an English literacy rate as the US...and higher than New Jersey.

Just in point of fact.

• Reply 2 of 15
    I watched a special on tech tv I think. They went to india and showed that people go to schools there to learn how to talk and be american so they can get jobs talking to us.

But whether from there or here in the US I usually have a lot of trouble understanding the accent on the phone. I think their accent just makes it had for certain words.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

There is no language called Indian.

There are over 60 succinct languages spoken in the country of India, the most prominent being English and Hindi. India actually has almost as high an English literacy rate as the US...and higher than New Jersey.

Just in point of fact.

The word is "distinct".
  • Reply 4 of 15
    It seems to be very popular right now for everyone to be pissed about those 'darn Indians' taking US jobs. Let's bear a few things in mind:

-English (and far better English than is spoken here) has been pervasive in India since the days of British colonization.

-We are not seeing Indians taking US jobs, but rather greedy US corporations giving them away to maximize their profits.

-Globalization is praised by the west for giving US and European companies access to two of the biggest markets of consumers on earth -China and India- yet we are furious when this also leads to the globalization of labor markets.

This is the ass end of the considerable benefit that we have reaped for the past 20 years.

I hope that they 'take' my bloody job too!!

• Reply 5 of 15
    "The word is "distinct"."

You are correct indeed...and obviously not from New Jersey!

• Reply 6 of 15
    1999: An Indian could come to the U.S. on an H1B visa and make $100,000 programming. U.S. worker could also make same money happily along side the Indian.

2004: U.S. companies move to India, pay Indian locals to stay where they are and instead take home $8-10,000 to do the same work they used to be able to make $100,000 at. Indians that came home and set up IT companies now have to compete in their own country against big U.S. companies. Meanwhile U.S. IT workers have no jobs to work at for any price.

Seems to me like all the workers of the world are once again getting the shyte end of the stick. CEO's are laughing and getting richer.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Um back on topic

I hope that Gateway does close all their stores. Then they'll go under in a mater of months. I'll rejoice at watching yet another PC maker go under while Apple continues to chug along.

OMG Gateway needs to add Radeon 9,000,000 to their low end line up or their going to go out of business. They need a sub $500 computer to compete. Ted Waitt has to get his head out of his ass and start listening to us Cheap Whinny Geeks®.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    maninmacmaninmac Posts: 64member
    "Seems to me like all the workers of the world are once again getting the shyte end of the stick. CEO's are laughing and getting richer."

Now there you went and said something that I agree with!

What I hate are the people who xenophobically blame 'the Indians' as though they somehow snuck in during the night and stole our cookies.

There are few nations as historically abused and exploited by Western economic enterprises as that of India. Many would say that they deserve a little payback.

\
  • Reply 9 of 15
    maninmacmaninmac Posts: 64member
    "Um back on topic"

Um yes, this thread does run the risk of finding itself in 'Apple Outsider'...and that would never do!

So, what about those darn crazy folks at Gateway??

Did anyone see their new PC the 60000KVXM-mark VI Turbo??

• Reply 10 of 15
    I'm not being the devil's advocate (pardon the expression) but I'd have to say things aren't exactly rosy for Indians either. The success they are enjoying is flash-in-the-pan and will diminish. Prices and pay can only go ever downward for them. I mean if you are paying someone $10,000 you can bet your ass next year they'll pressure them to work for $8,000.

They have horrendous societal problems and lousy worker's rights (which is why companies love going there and elsewhere). Yes, relative to no work, they are getting a boom time and uptick in income and employment. However once China's IT economy is sufficiently in motion it will be self-sufficient and not need Indian programming.

Basically it's a race to the lowest wages and no worker wins. Combined with piracy, IT will be at a level similar to working at a photocopy center. Crap pay, terrible conditions.

Interesting thing: The need for MITs and Harvards of the U.S. will be as diminished as the need fro Enron and Wang and DEC. Once China and India establish sufficiently credible and quality colleges (arguably they have already), the U.S. colleges will become trivialized. It's happening right now.

Re: Gateway....see ya. Never bought a darn thing from ya.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Another shit stain that will get cleansed in the wash, thank God.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I made a commercial for an english class last year that i think is perfect for this thread--the beginning was filmed at a gateway store

here's the video (you might want to let it load a little and restart so it doesnt jump)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    haha thats pretty funny. I like how he opens the door by accident and then closes it like it was locked and runs around the back hah

oh wait the guy was holding it
  • Reply 14 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    LOL!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

haha thats pretty funny. I like how he opens the door by accident and then closes it like it was locked and runs around the back hah

oh wait the guy was holding it

ah the beauty of last minute videos!