All dual PM G5 lineup-->PowerBook G5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New rumors are now surfacing that the PowerMac line will go all-dual within the next 2-3 months. This thread is not about those rumors themselves, but the implication of such rumors on other product lines.

If you know anything about Apple history, know the connection between the iMac and the PowerBook. Throughout the last five years, the PowerBook and iMac have mirrored each other in capability suprisingly closely. It may be due to the fact that Apple uses similar components and both are compact designs--the reasons are not important. Thus iMac<-->PowerBook, or iMac if and only if PowerBook [at some capability].

If the PM G5 line does go dual, the iMac then we can conjecture that the iMac is going G5. This is obvious. Apple would not go for an-all dual line unless it planned on having lower-end single processor systems, namely, the iMac. Thus dual G5 PM-->iMac G5, or dual G5 PM implies G5 iMac.

From the above fact that the the PowerBook is a mirror of the iMac and conversely, we can now conclude that a PowerBook G5 is close at hand.

Thus, dual PM G5-->PowerBook G5

QED.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Hope, I hope you're right.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    While I think that it is important and preferable for Apple to get a G5 into the iMac I think it is more important for them to get it down to the "sweet spot" that they have acknowledged that they are missing. If they cannot do this with a G5, but can with a G4 then as long as that G4 offers a performance increase over what they are using today then they should go with the G4 to get the price down to a more consumer friendly level.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

New rumors are now surfacing that the PowerMac line will go all-dual within the next 2-3 months.

try 2-3 weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I want an iMac G5 now
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

While I think that it is important and preferable for Apple to get a G5 into the iMac I think it is more important for them to get it down to the "sweet spot" that they have acknowledged that they are missing. If they cannot do this with a G5, but can with a G4 then as long as that G4 offers a performance increase over what they are using today then they should go with the G4 to get the price down to a more consumer friendly level.

On this note, does anybody know of the price of a the G4 vs G5 chips? If I understand correctly, the G5 made on the smaller scale are less expensive than the previous version. How do they compare to the G4? The G4 may be older, but I don't know if they can be made that much cheaper.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

They will need to do something a good deal better than a mediocre G4 speedbump to jumpstart consumer desktop sales.Even with a 300 dallor price cut most consumers will suppress a yawn and walk away.Apple needs to stop trying to impose social classes on processors-G5's for those upstairs and G4's for the peasants.A 25% decrease in emac/imac sales is not something they can just toss off.I cant wait to see what the sales are like this last quarter.They will probably include ipod sales with the imac and emac sales to make it look better.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cuneglasus

I cant wait to see what the sales are like this last quarter.They will probably include ipod sales with the imac and emac sales to make it look better.

Apple breaks up their sales and clearly indicates how many iBook , PB, iMac, eMac, PM and iPods were sold... They couldn't / wouldn't 'just combine em'. Not without raising quite a few eyebrows 'on the street'.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

On this note, does anybody know of the price of a the G4 vs G5 chips? If I understand correctly, the G5 made on the smaller scale are less expensive than the previous version. How do they compare to the G4? The G4 may be older, but I don't know if they can be made that much cheaper.

They will be cheaper because IBM can make more of the on a wafer and the wafer's are larger. Sorry I dont know exact numbers...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I think that if the idea is to go all G5 this year (that is Power Mac, Xserve, iMac and Powerbook), then there may be a problem. Especially after the XServe G5 "fiasco", I find it hard to believe that IBM could sustain sufficiently high G5 yields to allow such a move by Apple in this very year. And I believe it is almost certain the problem is on the IBM side and not graphics cards or other Power Mac related stuff, just since the delays concern the XServe.

So, although it is not pleasing to be pessimist, I don't see, because of this issue alone if true, G5 iMacs and Powerbooks to come before the end of this year. The new 7447A is here for those two exactly, just to serve as a bridge until next year. Besides, Existence's theory wants Mac<-->PowerBook.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I do not think the problem stems from IBM. Take a look at the other possibilities: Virginia Tech replacement, heating issues, graphics cards, maybe another component shortage? I dont think we have enough information either way to claim whos fault the delay is. I believe that this year we will see every Apple computer get a G5, except for the iBook...which might be the big announcement at next year's MWSF.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I agree with this. I am thinking that they might have outstripped their manufactoring capability. I bet they sold a ton of xserves. 64bit server, oh yeah! Maybe...they are going to increase speeds too?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS: What about Pixar as another drain on Xserves? I remember hearing that much of their desktop work was switched to OSX-hence Macs. I can't remember if their rendering has begun migrating from intel to OSX and a bunch of Xserves. They have another movie coming out in Fall, so my guess is that the rendering machines are going to be busy. If they are switching to Xserves, then I would guess they are under pressure to do so sooner rather than later. Otherwise they will have to wait until the next movie. You'd think Steve would brag about a big sale to Pixar, but if its holding orders up by others than they may wait to talk about it when supplies ease.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I am guessing there are quite a few large sales of xserves going out... Anyone order 10000 xserves yet?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

I am guessing there are quite a few large sales of xserves going out... Anyone order 10000 xserves yet?

It's entirely possible, but Apple would likely not announce such a sale until quarters end, or at a keynote.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Especially after the XServe G5 "fiasco",

What fiasco? They are a coming in a few weeks off from the predicted date. I would hardly call that a fiasco. Especially after Virginia tech has all their G5's being replaced with Xserve G5's. That's a pretty big order to fill.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

What fiasco? They are a coming in a few weeks off from the predicted date. I would hardly call that a fiasco. Especially after Virginia tech has all their G5's being replaced with Xserve G5's. That's a pretty big order to fill.

Did you notice the quotation marks around the word fiasco, didn't you? Is there some reason for these marks to be there.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is a fiasco in the sense that Apple still can not perform as they say they will. Clearly there was a rush to get the XServes out the door and a problem was found at the last minute. This is a pretty good indicator that Apple puts little importance on validation and quality control. Everyone should see this as a fiasco that needs to be addressed.

It would be one thing if this delay was one of a kind or only happened once in a great while. This is not the case, just about all recent hardware introductions from Apple have had significant problems. Hopefully the delays are a sign of beefed up QC responsbility.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

• Reply 18 of 22
    The keyword : hope.

This doesn't mean it will happen, with all the G5 upgrades. It will eventually...but probably gradually.

I wouldn't bet so much money on it, to put your machine on eBay; instead, sell for cold hard cash, for the exact price its worth, if you can. eBay is a bad place to buy and sell...if you want a good price for your machine. They are good for getting rid of your machine quickly for a low price.

Sellers stand point.

Buyers stand point: BUY BUY BUY !

-walloo.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

eBay is a bad place to buy and sell...if you want a good price for your machine. They are good for getting rid of your machine quickly for a low price.

Off topic... but you gotta be kiddin' me. First of all, how can it be both a bad place to buy AND sell at the same time? Moreover its quite possibly the BEST place to sell a Mac. Apparently you don't see how much things go for on Ebay. Yeah some ancient machine is going to get ignored but anything fairly recent (last 3 years or so) and still desirable well generally fetch more than a reasonable price. Oftentimes I see people buying things on there for more than they could get new/refurb if they'd bother to look around. It's baffling how much Ebay'ers are willing to shell out for things they want.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Just saw this on MacNN as a follow-up to my post upthread:

"Pixar is switching to Mac OS X and will be using Power Mac G5s for its work, according to a MacNN reader who attended Apple's Uncompressed for Final Cut Pro seminar in New York on Wednesday morning. In his Keynote presentation, Apple's Don Peebeles said that Pixar has used Linux and Intel-based architecture in 2003, but that Pixar was switching to Mac OS X and G5 workstations for its production work: "Peebles went on to say that this switch was 'a move that no doubt made common CEO Steve Jobs very happy.' According to Peebles, Pixar challenged Apple to come up with a way to review HD quality video on the desktop at a reduced file size but keeping the quality. Of course the technology they developed (with Pixar) was based on Wavelet compression and named accordingly, 'Pixlet'. With this impressive technology, the new G5 systems and OS X's Unix underpinning, all the pieces were in place."

I guess by production work , they don't mean rendering? Either way, this still probably means a good order of G5s.