How do you feel about other AO-ites in general?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tempers flare here quite often, but everyone(for the most part) always seems to come back for more. Not unlike Inspector Zenigata's pursuit of Lupin the 3rd*, the two, while natural adversaries, can't live without each other, and were zenigata to ever capture the thief, he would feel empty and bored.

Do happenings on this board really get to you at all? do you feel like you are friends with a fair number of people here, and/or that even your 'enemies' would be more or less friends, say, in person over a beer.

Or, at log-off, do you put everything said here behind you, not to care about it one bit in the *gasp*'real world'

I guess I'm only posting this because I spend a lot of time lurking on various forums and actively participating in a couple too, and it's always fascinated me how friendships and rivalries seem to form. I posted that 'flame warriors' link earlier today, outlining various forumoid stereotypes, and, while the site is all in good fun, it's interesting how many of these people do exist and fit the mold fairly perfectly.

I dunno, anthropology and human nature have always piqued my interest, and if anyone has any input on this, that'd be cool, if not, then it can derail into whatever it can I guess.

*For those who are unfamiliar with this series, Lupin III is a japanese cartoon centered around the exploits of a 'gentleman thief' named lupin, his cronies, and their mortal adversary, inspector Zenigata, who chases them around the world trying to thwart their heists. It was one of the most popular japanese cartoons of all time, several hundred episodes, a handful of movies, dozens of video games, countless merchandising..etc. If I remember correctly, Pokemon was the only thing to ever surpass Lupin's popularity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i tend to feel pretty hot about an AO in particular.
  • Reply 2 of 127
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Anyone who gets too worked up in here is doing themselves an injustice. One of the changes that I started a month or two back was to resist posts that don't build toward a dialogue. Lately I have found myself starting to reply to threads but never hitting the button to post my reply....clicking over to another website instead.

Name calling gets you nowhere. This is by no means a guarantee that I won't be overcome by the desire to pin somebody to the wall and type angrily, but I sincerely doubt that I will do that again.

How do I feel about everyone here in general? I feel like we're a dysfunctional family arguing over the Thanksgiving table. We have our own inside jokes, we know the characteristics of each other and we know when we're wasting our time trying to convince others of our opinions. It's a nice place to come vent, so I think I'd say you guys are one of my favorite therapy outlets. It's like our own little clubhouse...but we allow girls.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    pass the cranberry sauce, asshole.....
  • Reply 4 of 127
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I admit I can get pretty into some stuff here in AO, I have some pretty strong feelings that go against what a lot of people in here feel. I'm a conservative republican while most in here are liberal. That right there is enough to get me into some trouble with people here. But I don't let it leave the computer, I don't leave this desk pissed at the world or anything like that, it's not worth getting that worked up over.

As for friends, I consider all of you my friends, unless someone here wants to tell me that they hate me, if that's the case, out with it!!! But I consider \\/\\/ickes a good friend of mine, I don't know him personally, but I know we rule at ruining threads, although we don't limit that to just AO.
  • Reply 5 of 127
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i hate you all.

wait that should read:

I HATE YOU ALL.

oh wait. i don't.

y'all are all cool, even though most are crackpots in one way or another. and there is at least one evil genius...
  • Reply 6 of 127
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    You people are real??

I thought it was just my computer interacting with me....
  • Reply 7 of 127
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

You people are real??

This is your computer interacting with you... you see we all live inside your computer... they call us programs. Life here is neat, but you need more RAM and please quit that Master Control Program, he is starting to make life inside your computer difficult. Now pardon me while I talk to my other user.
  • Reply 8 of 127
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

You people are real??

did you repair disk permissions?
  • Reply 9 of 127
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    You're all fools with no life who spend way too much time in this "ultra-liberal haven"!!! You pinko liberal bahstahds!!

Seriously. This place is just a small microcosm of how broken this country is right now. It's sad really. And no. I don't take stuff that goes on here personally. What happens here, stays here. It's just the bloody web.
  • Reply 10 of 127
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I like AO. Even the people who I disagree with. Sometimes I bark at them, and some of them I still think are misguided, but if I didn't enjoy their arguments I wouldn't keep coming back.

• Reply 11 of 127
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I'm just here for the beer.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So you're not really here at all then
  • Reply 13 of 127
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wrong forum. Chips and dip anyone?
  • Reply 14 of 127
    *Takes jwri004 out with an ether soaked rag*

He means that this is the right forum... nothing wrong about it... *cough*

But, I have no clue what that chip and dip talk is about... *cough* I mean that's just silly talk.
  • Reply 15 of 127
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    While there are a couple of people here who I'm not too fond of I tend to like the majority of peeps. And as much as people may think AO is just useless arguing there are a few people who can make me think differently about an issue and at the very least consider the opposing point of view.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I dropped out of doing much posting because I got sick of being irritated. I really don't handle confrontation well; I have a rather nasty temper. And I don't like the over-represented attitude that Christians are supersititious fools and Creationists don't believe in sciene. (I say "over-represented" because, statistically speaking, there are more Christians in the world than any other religion and more people who hold _some_ religious belief than those who believe in "nothing.")

That said,I'm always looking for the threads that are likely to have the funniest posts. Hassan and I have never (not that I can recall) been on the same side of an argument, but I still think he can have some pretty darn humorous posts.

Or posts about the Lord of the Rings. It's a sickness.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i tend to feel pretty hot about an AO in particular.

The one who will give you a green card ?
  • Reply 18 of 127
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    I hate all of you.
  • Reply 19 of 127
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Group Hug!
  • Reply 20 of 127
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *hic*

I luff yoush guysh...