Bonnaroo 2004 - Should I go?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So my brother in Mass. called me this afternoon and asked if I want to go to Bonnaroo 2004 with him. I've never heard of the thing but he praises it up and down. From what I've seen on their web site it looks REALLY cool.

His boss got them VIP tickets and they have one left over, and that's why my brother could ask me to go. The ticket would be $500 USD plus travel expenses to meet my brother in Mass. and then drive to and from Tennessee where the event is (June 11-13). All in all, he's guessing it'll be about $1000 USD.

What do you know about it? Should I go? I'm thinking right now that I need to come up with the money because I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to do this again in my lifetime. The prospect of spending a week with my brother at an oustanding event seems like it's totally worth the money.

Do any of you have stories of when you went? Recommendations either way? Thanks in advance for the info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    My roomate went to Bonnaroo last year and he's going again this year. Said it was the best show ever and last year it was basically all smaller not as big named bands. THis year there are more of the same, plus Dave Mathews and BOD DYALN. I saw the DVD for last years it looked pretty friggin sweet. I'd go no question if I were you. Besides if Dylan and Dave play All Along The Watchtower together, well life can't get any better.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    go!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Here are the plusses and minuses to my decision:

PLUSSES:
    • I'll get to spend a week with my brother, who I only see about once a year.

• I'll be able to go to an outstanding event with VIP seating and have an excellent time.

• I'll be able to do something that most people never get to do, and that I'll probably not have an opportunity to do again.

• I'll get to see Dave Matthews, who's my favorite artist.

MINUSES:
    • I'll spend $1000 that I really shouldn't. I have this very Powerbook I'm typing on to pay off by the end of the year and it won't be easy even without the extra expense of this event.

• I'll burn up all of my vacation time, and I won't be able to be staff at the week-long youth camp I was planning to do this summer. I do this camp every year and it's extremely rewarding for me, but I wouldn't be able to do it if I went to Bonnaroo.

Those two minuses are REALLY BIG deals to me, and so I'm actually now leaning away from going to Bonnaroo. My financial stability is more important than Bonnaroo, and I need to go to camp as much as the kids do.

\
  • Reply 4 of 12
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    The music may be just as rewarding as camp.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I didn't go last year but really want to HIT IT this year. I heard many good things about it from many people who were there last year.

VIP pass to the best musical event on the planet?

A no-brainer in my book.

It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Do you see your lifestyle being more conducive to doing something like this, say, 10 years from now?

The negatives, OTOH, are one-shot-only, or temporary at worst. In other words - the camp will be there next summer - when will you get another shot at this opportunity?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Last Years CD:

The Dead - Sugar Magnolia

The Allman Brothers Band - High Cost of Low Living

Jack Johnson - Wasting Time

The Flaming Lips - A Spoonful Weighs a Ton

Galactic - Space Headz March

My Morning Jacket - Dancefloors

Sonic Youth - She's Not Alone

Warren Haynes - The Real Thing

Jason Mraz - You & I Both (Bonnaroo Style)

Ben Kweller - Walk On Me

The Polyphonic Spree - It's The Sun

Widespread Panic - Papa Johnny Road

James Brown - I Feel Good

Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Sexual Healing

The Roots - The Seed

Medeski Martin & Wood - Macha

Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - Sleeper

Leo Kottke & Mike Gordon - Rings

Nickel Creek - I Should've Known Better

O.A.R. - Risen

Keller Williams - Love Handles

Buddahead - Invisible

I know most of them...I wouldn't say they are no bodies.

This year...

The Dead

Dave Matthews & Friends

Bob Dylan

Trey Anastasio

Willie Nelson

David Byrne

Primus

Wilco

Burning Spear

String Cheese Incident

Ani Difranco

moe.

Gov't Mule

Los Lobos

Galactic

Yo La Tengo

Femi Kuti

Medeski Martin & Wood

Gomez

Yonger Mountain String Band

Damien Rice

North Mississippi Allstars Hill Country Review

Beth Orton

My Morning Jacket

Gillian Wlch

The Del McCoury Band

Taj Mahal

Sam Bush Band

Vida Blue feat. The Spam Allstars

Los Lonely Boys

Grandaddy

Kinds of Leon

Bill Laswell's Material

Soulive

Neko Case

Leftover Salmon

Cut Chemist

Chris Robinson & New Earth Mid

Umphrey's McGee

Maroon5

The Black Keys

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

The Bad Plus

Marc Broussard

Donavan Frankenriter

Blue Merle

WOW...I didn't know this years setup was this good, I may have to try and grab some tickets. I was planning on just going to the Grass Roots Festival or the All Good Festival, but it may be worth it to hit up bonnaroo!

I wish I saw the recipe at one of these places though...or perhaps Keller Williams again would be nice.

If you don't want to go, I'll take it and meet your brother
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Why is the ticket $500?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I'm going. Music is da bomb. You should go. It's fun!

Cheers.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    purepure Posts: 26member
    Is Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie's Brains gonna to be there this year? If the're booked, you'll get to witness Les Claypool AND Buckethead on the same stage.

Here's a video i dug up

Bucket playing a decent little solo(by his standards) during a Guns N' Roses concert from 2002.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Les Claypool doesn't play with Buckethead anymore....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If it's anything like Woodstock, shouldn' they call it "Bone-a-roo"?

• Reply 12 of 12
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Sorry for dredging up the old thread, but a half-dozen bands were announced as additions to the Bonnaroo lineup yesterday.

One of those just happens to be The Radiators, which as many of you know, is the World's Greatest Live Rock Band That You've Never Seen.

Seems the chances of finding myself there this summer just went up quite a bit.