Mac OS X 10.3.3 (Including 7F32)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I normally don't get too excited about these little updates, but 10.3.2 has been a real POS on my Macs. Many little problems throughout.

Also, I hope .3 puts connected share (SMB&AFP) into the side pane of Finder windows.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Well we should be pretty close at this point since there are apparently no obvious changes from 7F32 to 7F38. 70MB or so... should definitely result in better performance for *some* users. Or you would think so anyway.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    Its 4:11 EST. No update These guesses onto when it comes out are getting annoying. Anyone have any idea what is going on with the update?
  • Reply 64 of 100
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Apple is reading this topic so the more people say tomorrow the more they push it back
  • Reply 65 of 100
    So no one knows when its going to be out? I'm just going nuts over it, because I'm one of those people that bought a GeForce 4 ti, I know it could run much better than it does at the moment. Are these drivers in 10.3.3 going to make it work better? And will startup time shorten?
  • Reply 66 of 100
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The worst is, it doesn't matter how long the stupid testing phase takes...there are going to be problems just like every other point releases. Now we're just waiting for those problems instead of having them now.

Oh...the Apple testers suck, BTW.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Another day, another no show. This is getting old.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

Another day, another no show. This is getting old.

i bet you really go through the maalox.
  • Reply 69 of 100
    ducasiducasi Posts: 27member
    Doesn't Apple normally release these updates late Friday/early Saturday?

I figure it's to allow people to find the big problems over the weekend so they know people doing the update on their work computers on Monday aren't going to have a bad day.

Keep hitting that "Check Now" button guys!

I'll wait until my Mac has it already downloaded.
  • Reply 70 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

i bet you really go through the maalox.

Not really. I just think it's stupid to sit on an update like this. As another poster put it, we all know there will be problems with it because Apple doesn't test with enough real world configurations and users. So let's get on with it.
  • Reply 71 of 100
    They probably don't do that testing because when they do, it takes them so long that the biggest bug is that it wasn't out earlier :P
  • Reply 72 of 100
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Not really. I just think it's stupid to sit on an update like this. As another poster put it, we all know there will be problems with it because Apple doesn't test with enough real world configurations and users. So let's get on with it.

So you're volunteering to be the guy whose hard drive is wiped?

Sweet!

Then the rest of us can use it with no worries.

• Reply 73 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So you're volunteering to be the guy whose hard drive is wiped?

Sweet!

Then the rest of us can use it with no worries.

Damn straight I'd test for Apple, but they've closed their "Apple Seed" program for a long time now. So volunteering is somewhat worthless. I've beta-tested for about 6-7 different software vendors, including hard disk programs that really can wipe a drive. You just set up a test HD. It's not difficult.
  • Reply 74 of 100
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Damn straight I'd test for Apple, but they've closed their "Apple Seed" program for a long time now. So volunteering is somewhat worthless. I've beta-tested for about 6-7 different software vendors, including hard disk programs that really can wipe a drive. You just set up a test HD. It's not difficult.

Right. And we *all* have test drives set up for that untested 10.3.3 release to play in.

You missed the point. The more testing they do, the less chances there are for a major nasty bug to bite some customer in the butt. Which in turn bites Apple on the butt in a big PR way.

Now, if you're stepping up to be that One Customer for whom Everything Goes Wrong, be my guest.

(I have also been a long time tester of Apple products, back to the Atlas and Hera days... ah, if only you kids knew how good you've got it...)
  • Reply 75 of 100
    No, if you don't have the setup, you don't test. I'm glad you've tested in the past for Apple. They could use you today (10.2.8, 10.3 to name two). I too have tested going back about 15 years, though not for Apple. Apple could use more testing but not more delays.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    I'd enjoy testing for apple. But anyways, is this update going to fix the GeForce4 ti?
  • Reply 77 of 100
    7F40 is out.
  • Reply 78 of 100
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Yep for ADC testers. There's a bit of info on my site: http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/m...cgi/2004/03/10 - But nothing much new to report... Build feels finished, as did 7F34 and 7F38.
  • Reply 79 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by fryke

But nothing much new to report... Build feels finished, as did 7F34 and 7F38.

Checking the BOM on the packages would tell you exactly what Apple has ben changing in these newer builds...
  • Reply 80 of 100
    If Apple is fixing prebinding in the latest build as reported by fryke's site, I hope it addresses an irritating problem with applications (not Apple's system files). Although most installers report that they are "optimizing" after installing (actually prebinding) and prebinding is supposed to be done once and forget it, in actuality many applications are prebound over and over again each time they are launched. Check your system log file to confirm this. On my system, this happens with every program launched at startup as well as more than a few launched during the normal day. This problem cannot be solved by forcing a re-prebinding of the Applications folder (I use Cocktail to do it). I don't know what the problem is, but it shouldn't be happening.