Price creep

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have noticed that more and more CDs are priced higher than the original $9.98 price when Steve first introduced the iTMS. Has anybody else noticed this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I have noticed that more and more CDs are priced higher than the original $9.98 price when Steve first introduced the iTMS. Has anybody else noticed this?

Yes in fact I just noticed that new Norah Jones Album is 12.87 for a full album. I guess you could buy the CD but it has Copy Protection which means you have to break the law the get the music on your iPod.

I'm beginning to think that there will be no way for Apple or anyone else to really affect some change here. The Big 5 are simply greedy. Guess I would be too if I knew I had marginal talent and my job was being usurped by new distribution methods like the Internet and iTMS. Apple may turn this into a Billion dollar industry but they will forever be under the thumb of these same idiots.

Oh well. I'll just cherry pick my favorite tracks and forgo on buying the album because of some sense of altruism. I can tell you though that we're a long way from stopping piracy though. I'm happy with iTMS but I want it to grow further.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    I've also noticed that a lot of cd's are now 9.99 at bestbuy
  • Reply 3 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Yeah. I've seen higher than that, even, as if I'd pay the price of a full CD for compressed tracks and a JPEG of the cover art. The labels are obviously trying to see what the market will bear.

I won't touch an album that costs over $9.99 on iTMS. It's the only thing I can do to discourage that practice.

Some of them might have more innocent explanations, too. Our album was about $18 - the sum of the individual tracks - when it first appeared on iTMS. I pointed that out to CD Baby and the next day it was $9.99, as is Right and Proper. So perhaps some albums suffered a similar glitch.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    The Canadian outfit PureTracks.com (Windows support only...get movin' Apple Canada!), has also bumped some of it's prices. Most single songs are still 99 cents but quite a few are now $1.39 (canadian prices).

So it seems it may be an industry wide thing with the record labels being the greedy bastards they are.