iTMS slow to download?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just wondering what everyone else's connection was like when using the iTMS to listen to preview songs or to download them. I have a T1 LAN connection at college, and it is slower than my 56k modem at home. It takes hours to download a song. Browsing the web, and downloading from the web is just fine. What is the deal? I am wondering if my college is limiting bandwidth to music downloads in general to prevent piracy, yet this is legal. (is that even possible?) Basically I am really miffed about why the iTMS is so freaking slow to download anything.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    On my Cable modem I download songs in an instant, I got 'kiss' by prince last night, it took under 10 seconds.

iTMS has been slow lately though, like, ever since the windows version was released, it's had really slow times. tuesday is always the slowest day because it's the new music day, so a lot of people come to check out what's new.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    yeah, I was figuring that in, but even not on Tuesday's, it is super slow. So slow, it is not acceptable for the type of connection I have. I have to let downloads go over night to get them done. It takes hours!! It can't be all Apple's fault.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    My old high school supposedly had a T1, it was a small private school to, but the 'T1' was slow as hell. sometimes it'd be very fast, but the vast majority of the time it was PAINFULLY slow. I later learned that the same T1 our school of a 100 people was using, was also being used by like 3 or 4 other private businesses and such.

maybe it's the same situation with your T1?

also, how big is your college? cause, T1 lines, while they are great for supporting large amounts of people, will still slow to a halt if TOO many people are using it at once, that's why many colleges have T3 lines.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    My college is about 1,700 people. I do believe a select few around the surrounding area may have access, but out technology center doesn't say how many. I get around 20-60kb consistently, flucuating alot, but mostly stays around 30 when loading a page, so I don't understand why the iTMS would be slow. I might talk to our technology center if it doesn't speed up at all.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Any more than 27 people using a T-1 simultaneously will result in less than 56 modem speeds per user.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Any more than 27 people using a T-1 simultaneously will result in less than 56 modem speeds per user.

That could be it. Our campus was hit pretty hard with the Mydoom virus I believe. Our campus administrator also said they have been really busy trying to get things worked out, so I am thinking the network is just getting overloaded hardcore until things get fixed.