Updated Site

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys!

I recently redegined my site. Before, I could never get it right. At last I got it. Go to Leo's X Site

Any help, suggestions, comments, questions, whatever would be helpful. Like it or not? I would like to know if I should do certand thing like update more often or something.

Thanks,

-Leo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

Hey guys!

I recently redegined my site. Before, I could never get it right. At last I got it. Go to Leo's X Site

Any help, suggestions, comments, questions, whatever would be helpful. Like it or not? I would like to know if I should do certand thing like update more often or something.

Thanks,

-Leo

You might want to fix your typos and grammar. Having a big banner that screams "Introducing a wholce new set of desktops" doesn't look that great. Also, "Most likely published in this month" is not really the Queen's English

Other than that, nice colours and graphics. Keep up the good work!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    a lot of those graphics and downloads seem like already available items that have been modified slightly in color. Like, the Apple desktop pictures that are changed in colors, or the Address Book or Quicktime icons that are available in different colors...

Also, my personal belief would be to use tables only tabular data, not for design,,, breaking up the content and design into XHTML and CSS... the FUTURE!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Also, my personal belief would be to use tables only tabular data, not for design,,, breaking up the content and design into XHTML and CSS... the FUTURE!

Can I get an amen brotha
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Can I get an amen brotha

Amen brotha
  • Reply 5 of 20
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    - Is interfacelift.com yours too?

Not sure I like the "We currently offer 20 themes for Mac OS X." line....what's this "we" stuff? You have no arrangement with those authors I am assuming. If you do I stand corrected.

- The desktops which are merely altered Apple desktops is a bit cheesy too. You have photoshop, skill and ambition...come up with something original. Altering existing desktops is something one does for oneself not for redistributing as a website's content.

Colorizing icons is a bit different and somewhat more valid.

- Learn about leading and kerning

- If it doesn't fit, you must edit
  • Reply 6 of 20
    No, interfaceLIFT.com is not mine. I just thought it was an interesting site. I am working on an original desktop. I am fixing the typos. Thanks for you help guys.

P.S. I update pretty often so check back later!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I think there should be a subforum of GD for site opinions or other web stuff. I am finding more and more questions on AI about PHP or HTML or HTML editors or people who need their site examined and stuff.

I also think if we had a sub forum like this people could post their site on here with out the fear of people thinking its a shameless plug. An internet forum is a really good way to get constructive criticism that a website needs.

Now that thats out of the way, about your site.

The nav bar and such looks really well done, it sort of throws off the gray boxes you have at the bottom. First I would try changing the font sizes. As of right now I am not quite sure what it is thats throwing it off but I will see if I can come up with some other suggestions..

Good luck.

EDIT: Also at the bottom change "Sugestions? Comments? Broken Link?" to something more like, "Suggestions, Comments, or Broken Link?" All of those question marks in a row look funny. And of course suggestions is spelled wrong
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Hey guys,

I would like to have a counter on my site, anyone know if there is a good service out there? I tried bravenet, but there is a little pic screaming "BRAVENET SERVICE"! Anything with just a simple, old counter? With different themes? Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Do you have PHP and MYSQL installed on your server? If you do PM me. I will wip one up really quick for you.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    You don't even need SQL for a counter. A simple PHP script that reads a number from a file, increments it, and writes it back out will do.

Here's part of a script I've used before:

PHP Code:

<!-- php buffer start --><code><span style="color: #000000">
    <span style="color: #0000BB">&lt;?php&nbsp;
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #FF8000">//increment&nbsp;counter
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$data&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #007700">=&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">file</span><span style="color: #007700">(</span><span style="color: #DD0000">"hit_counter.txt"</span><span style="color: #007700">);&nbsp;
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$views&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #007700">=&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$data</span><span style="color: #007700">&#91;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">0</span><span style="color: #007700">&#93;&nbsp;+&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">1</span><span style="color: #007700">;
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$pointer&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #007700">=&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">fopen</span><span style="color: #007700">(</span><span style="color: #DD0000">"hit_counter.txt"</span><span style="color: #007700">,&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #DD0000">"w"</span><span style="color: #007700">);&nbsp;
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">fwrite</span><span style="color: #007700">(</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$pointer</span><span style="color: #007700">,&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$views</span><span style="color: #007700">);&nbsp;
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">fclose</span><span style="color: #007700">(</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$pointer</span><span style="color: #007700">);
    <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;print&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #DD0000">"Viewed&nbsp;"&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #007700">.&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #0000BB">$views&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #007700">.&nbsp;</span><span style="color: #DD0000">"&nbsp;times."</span><span style="color: #007700">;
    <br /></span><span style="color: #0000BB">?&gt;</span>
    </span>

• Reply 11 of 20
    I had to laugh for a second when you said, "Hey guys, I would like to have a counter on my site!". really took me back to 1997 for a few minutes Not trying to insult you, just, I haven't heard that in so long...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Maybe there's a market for my 1999-2003 O'Rielly/PHP/JavaScript/PHP/etc books after all...

We tend to be jaded and think this is all a breeze now but I forget it's still new to a great many people....
  • Reply 13 of 20
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Ummm, this is basically a site for Mac users, right? Then why do the colors look like Windows XP? The width of the page bothered me also because it makes the naviagation "jump" from one page to the next depending on whether there is a scroll bar or not. Put your intro in white and let the area around be gray - It'll make things pop off your page much better. Then you can lighten up the backgrounds in the 4 items at the bottom of the page making everything easier to read. Also, the text in those boxes looks huge to me. Trying going to a smaller font.

Good Luck,

Chas
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Yeah, your right Brad. But I HATE using Text files and I have gotten really used to just using MySQL now that I almost forget that you don't need it for really simple stuff like that.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Put border=0 on images that are also links. There are ugly blue borders everywhere on NT4/IE5.

Amorya
  • Reply 16 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    What are you using to make your site? It's leaving ugly nasty things like "My%20Website/Page 5.html" in your URLs.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

What are you using to make your site?

RapidWeaver 2.1

I've never heard of it. It sounds like we've got a case for some good ol' fashioned raw-code preaching!

edit: After doing some quick Googling, I found RapidWeaver. It looks like a nice app, but there's no real substitute for valid, hand-optimized code IMNSHO.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Do you have PHP and MYSQL installed on your server? If you do PM me. I will wip one up really quick for you.

Nope, at least I don't think so. I have an iDisk as my server. How could I get PHP and/or MYSQL installed on my iDisk?

-Leo
  • Reply 19 of 20
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

Nope, at least I don't think so. I have an iDisk as my server. How could I get PHP and/or MYSQL installed on my iDisk?

-Leo

Nope, you can not. I wish you could.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Updated along some of your guidelines.