ill-planned shortcuts?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone else find it annoying that they replaced the OS9 "new folder" with command+shift+N only to leave the whole locations set a little disjointed in the Finder?

Computer = command+shift+C

Network = command+shift+K

Applications = command+shift+A

Utilities = command+shift+U

Home = command+shift+H

New Finder = command+N (no shift, wtf?)

I know this is old news now but since I've been using them all lately it's been bugging me that the old "new folder" shortcut was bumped so that they could have New Finder not fit with any of the other locations.

Just me?

Bob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    try this out...

10.3: Use Command-N to create new folders

There's a quick and easy way to restore the pre Mac OS X Command-N shortcut to new folder. It doesn't require any third party software, although it does require Terminal access (or a .plist editor).

Create a New Folder shortcut using the System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts panel. The system won't let you choose Command-N, but it will let you choose Command-Shift-N. Use that.

Edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist with your favorite editor. Search for your newly added shortcut (new folder). Duplicate the entry and rename it to new Finder Window. Remove the $ from the new folder key. This makes Command-N into new folder and Command-Shift-N into new Finder Window. You need to have both or Finder doesn't behave.

You don't need to restart the Finder for this to work. Just save the file, go to the Finder and type Command-N and watch the new folder appear.

Got that from here and it works just fine: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...ple+new+folder
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Ah yes, no problems, only solutions. Thanks very much.

Bob
  • Reply 3 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Those are all "Go To x" commands.

Command-shift-n is "Create, then Go To the newly created folder", basically. (Well, if selecting it is "going to" it)

Since the Finder's "document" is a Finder window, they chose to make it like standard Macintosh applications, wherein command-n makes a new "document". In this case a document is a Finder window.

Odd, I know but it's the rationale.