Outrageous Alimony requests need to end!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/richiediv1.html

Quote:

MARCH 2--Five months after filing for divorce from Lionel Richie, the singer's estranged wife has just weighed in with a whopping--and remarkably detailed--demand for at least $300,000 in monthly support payments. According to Diane Richie, 37, the couple has led an "extraordinary extravagant lifestyle" and that she had "no limit on what I could spend," according to the below Los Angeles Superior Court declaration filed last week. The Richies, who wed in December 1996 and have two young children, live in a $40 million Beverly Hills mansion, with its 30 rooms spread over 18,000 square feet. "In addition to nine full time staff members, we also employ people to maintain our plants, detail our cars, care for our pool, groom our dog, maintain our aquarium and a painter for regular touch ups on the house," noted Richie. She also made sure to point out particular monthly expenses that Lionel, 54, needs to cover: clothing, shoes, and accessories ($15,000); dermatology ($3000); laser hair removal ($1000); massages ($600); jewelry ($5000); gifts ($5000); and vitamins ($500). There are plenty of other costs Richie listed--like $20,000 annually for plastic surgery and her nine-year-old son's $125,000 boarding school tuition--but TSG will let you discover those chestnuts. According to Richie, she began dating the pop star in 1984, when they met at the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles (she was an 18-year-old dancer). Since those teen days, the performer "paid my rent and/or mortgage, purchased automobiles for me, and regularly bought me expensive gifts," recalled

Good lordy Lionel. Haven't you learned "It's cheaper to keep her"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Keep her? Just kill her!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Keep her? Just kill her!

No doubt. Where's Tony Soprano's henchmen when you need'em.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Damn, you beat me to it, Murbot! Didn't the ladies learn anything from the OJ thing?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Funny thing, divorce.

In the next paragraphs, when I say "husband" I mean the breadwinner of the family. When I say "wife" I mean the homemaker. The roles can just as well be reversed.

In the event of a divorce, the wife should be entitled to *some* of the husband's money. After all, her work at home has probably contributed to the success of her husband's career, and she has a reasonable expectation that her financial future is dependent on her husband's. (The "shared success" argument)

On the other hand, it isn't fair if the wife walks out after half a year of marriage and demands that the husband must provide for her for the rest of her natural life, at the same level of luxury that the half a year has been.

What would you consider fair laws for divorce and property?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    We are all responsible of our actions. If you marry someone rich and doesn´t get an education its your own fault. If you slave for his career its your own fault.

If you want money from a divorse it should be arranged at the wedding.

Pay for their childs boarding school and nothing else.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The judge should say she can have $300k/month if she can explain in as much detail as possible what she needs the money for.

But, she has to do it at an orphanage and she has to give the speech to each child individually only after hearing them tell their own life stories.

If she can do it, she gets it, and I feel no sorrow for Lionel.

How the hell can you not hate someone for demanding $1000/month for laser hair removal? I am trying, but I just cannot do it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I knew something was missing from this thread, but had to think about it for a minute.

Where's Trumptman?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I love the $500 bucks a month for 'vitamins'.

Um, yeah...vitamins...that's it.

Powdered if you please, sir.