The new SuperDrive

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...32&newsLang=en

This is the device that we have been waiting for. This is what the new SuperDrive specs should be or better than.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    About time!!

I'm so ready to go SATA only.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Cripes. It seems that DVR-R burners are jumping at about 4X the speed that CD-Rs did before them.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    YES! i held out on a superdrive knowing this day would come eventually. now i just need a serial ata card in my MDD G4 and i will have thunderous new tech power under the hood. sweet!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Note that is for dvd+R. dvd-R is only at 8x still. The title is misleading:

Quote:

Plextor Announces 12X DVD+/-R/RW Drive

but int the text you see:

Quote:

with support for high-speed 12X DVD+R and 8X DVD-R recording

I don't totally know the difference between + and - other than DVD-R is backed by the DVD standards body, and DVD+R isn't.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple will probably stick with Pioneer. I don't know if Apple is using the DVR-107 yet, but I think it will probably be in the next PowerMacs. 8x Dual format DVD+R/-R recording isn't slow. So there is one player that's doing it better with the DVD+R part. Big deal. I think Apple will probably just ask Pioneer to add an SATA connection.... Actually... forget that. Pioneer has probably already been working on it, and may have a 12x dual format SATA DVD recorder practically ready to go. That wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The speed is nice but the next BIG thing in DVD Burners is dual layer. Being able to produce one off DVD-9 discs will be HUGE.

I'm hoping NAB has an update to DVD Studio Pro to support DL DVD-R/+R

No more "cheaping out" on the bitrate to squeeze in as much video as possible.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    <<I don't know if Apple is using the DVR-107 yet, but I think it will probably be in the next PowerMacs.>>

Sony also has an 8X burner on store shelves, unfortunately it burns DVD+R at 8, DVD-R at 4. One clue as to whether the107 will be included might be if there's native support for it in 10.3.3.

One problem right now is the lack of 8X media.

Then again, now that prices on the 4X drives have fallen quite a bit, Apple might just keep using the present Sony and Pioneer drives until 8X media actually comes out, making of course a little extra profit in the meantime.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

One clue as to whether the107 will be included might be if there's native support for it in 10.3.3.

According to Pioneer It's totally Mac compatible. The only difference between this and the 106 is that it's 8X Dual format which I doubt will make a difference. Pioneer is the maker of the original SuperDrive, and has been Apples first choice in PowerMacs ever sense AFAIK. I think they use a Toshiba in the Books most of the time, but I'm not positive.