iPod armband = ripoff?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was just looking at the armband. It seems such a rip off.

Why can't you make it yourself, using the existing belt clip and clipping it to an elastic you take from something else?

plus, why is the armband such an attractive idea? I think is a stupid design because it cuts off the circulation on your arm if too tight and anything below that it just slips off.

why don't people just put it in their pockets when jogging? it's safer that way too.

So what's so good about the armband?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    So don't buy it. Make your elastic arm band and be happy. You don't really run with stuff in your pockets do you? Especially something with that much weight? Not only will it most likely fall out of your pocket, but it's awkward to run with that in your pocket...that is unless you are running with real tight pants or spandex
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

So don't buy it. Make your elastic arm band and be happy. You don't really run with stuff in your pockets do you? Especially something with that much weight? Not only will it most likely fall out of your pocket, but it's awkward to run with that in your pocket...that is unless you are running with real tight pants or spandex

No, that aint true, the ipod mini is extremely light.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Well I really still think it's too heavy to have in baggy shorts, but who knows. Still falling out would be a fear.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Well I really still think it's too heavy to have in baggy shorts, but who knows. Still falling out would be a fear.

Yeah, I guess it depends on what you wear.

All my pants are Italian so they're not as baggy as the style in the US.

I'm actually scared of ipod damage using the belt clip. Has anyone had an accident with the belt clip?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

I was just looking at the armband. It seems such a rip off.

Why can't you make it yourself, using the existing belt clip and clipping it to an elastic you take from something else?

plus, why is the armband such an attractive idea? I think is a stupid design because it cuts off the circulation on your arm if too tight and anything below that it just slips off.

why don't people just put it in their pockets when jogging? it's safer that way too.

So what's so good about the armband?

Yeah, a slick iPod mini looks real good with an elastic band.

If the armband is too tight, adjust it. You spend $249 but risk having it fall out of your pocket to save $29?

Plus it also nice to show it off once in a while.

To each his/her own, but I'd rather have some sort of holder or case.

• Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Yeah, a slick iPod mini looks real good with an elastic band.

It's not an elastic band. It is black and looks just like the real one. I got this one off my LED headlamp and basically the ipod belt clip clips on to it and that can be fastened on the arm.

But anyway, I prefer putting it in my pocket because it's more secure and less prone to falling out.

I have no idea why your pockets are so shallow or they come out so easily. Maybe it's just american clothes are designed differently
  • Reply 7 of 24
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Actually, it is not just a piece of elastic but a rubber-like material that also keeps it from slipping from sweat. It is great, and a lot better than the pocket idea...The wife and I have both tried both ways, and the mini band is just fantastic!! Have fun with your crappy elastic or pocket...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

I'm actually scared of ipod damage using the belt clip. Has anyone had an accident with the belt clip?

What type of damage? It shouldn't scratch as easily because it's aluminum and the fit seems extremely tight.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

What type of damage? It shouldn't scratch as easily because it's aluminum and the fit seems extremely tight.

well, a friend of mine with a 3G has had 2 accidents.

1. He was running to the bus stop and the ipod somehow came off his belt and fell on the floor and he steppen and kicked it.

2. He was walking into a door and the ipod on the side of his belt hit the door post and it fell off his belt and hit the floor

So I'm kinda doubting how securely fastened the belt clip really is to the belt. I know it feel tight, but what if you're bending over or something rubs or hits it (like your backpack)

Yes, the aluminium is quite strong, but I'm worried about the screen. in fact, i don't care if the body gets scratched so long as the screen doesn't
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

well, a friend of mine with a 3G has had 2 accidents.

1. He was running to the bus stop and the ipod somehow came off his belt and fell on the floor and he steppen and kicked it.

2. He was walking into a door and the ipod on the side of his belt hit the door post and it fell off his belt and hit the floor

So I'm kinda doubting how securely fastened the belt clip really is to the belt. I know it feel tight, but what if you're bending over or something rubs or hits it (like your backpack)

Yes, the aluminium is quite strong, but I'm worried about the screen. in fact, i don't care if the body gets scratched so long as the screen doesn't

Maybe that is why the iPod Mini is perfect for sports, and comes with an armband...so that stuff doesn't happen

Two different iPods, mini I'm pretty sure is more secure on your arm then the iPod 3G is on your belt.

Also it's not shallow american pockets, it's large free moving. I can have real big baggy pockets, but when I lay or even sit sometimes you can be assured my chance will come out and make every look
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Maybe that is why the iPod Mini is perfect for sports, and comes with an armband...so that stuff doesn't happen

damn! now I definitely got ripped off!!!

(/searches in mini box)

No armband!!! wtf????

• Reply 12 of 24
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm, I just hold my ipod while running. You know, in the hand, held firmly. Seems to work.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Many running shorts don't have pockets, so you can't put the iPod in one.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Is that an iPod mini in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

Is that an iPod mini in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

huh?

the ipod is offset, it's not at the center. The italian cut trousers make this clear, maybe US baggy pants differ.

hehe
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

You can actually constrict the biceps quite a lot without cutting off your circulation. Unless there's no muscle at all there. You're not putting the arm band around your elbow or underarm, are you?

Well, the subclavian follows to the part of the bicep that's close to your body. I can feel the blood vessel all along my arm but there is a spot where I feel it less (1/3 the way closer to the elbow) so I guess you're right.

Isnt't the ipod earphones a bit too long?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

iPod armband = ripoff?

My iPod mini won't connect via USB 2!

Isnt't the ipod earphones a bit too long?

Dude, just get rid of your iPod if you hate it so much.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    So he's making an armband out of elastic? I'm envisioning the waistband from Chris Farley's (god bless him!) size 52 tiddy-whiteys

Sorry, I think I'll go with the regular armband.

Chas
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

So he's making an armband out of elastic? I'm envisioning the waistband from Chris Farley's (god bless him!) size 52 tiddy-whiteys

Sorry, I think I'll go with the regular armband.

Chas

Well if you read my post earlier it's not exactly an elastic band. It looks very similar to the ipod arm band and I took it from my headlamp
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Made of neoprene?