15inch PowerBook G4 - uneven display

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a 1GHz 15inch PowerBook three weeks ago. Mostly excellent, but I have two problems:

1. The brightness of the display: the left half is bright, the right half is dark (as though it's under a shadow). This is not a constant thing. I noticed it a couple of days ago, but it seemed normal when I next used it - but it's recurred. It's definitely noticeable now - the brightness is very uneven.

(I've got a backlit keyboard and "adjust brightness as ambient lighting changes" was selected - turning this off makes no difference to the "shadow".)

2. This is trivial, but... the trackpad is uneven or "lumpy". It's purely aesthetic, but it bugs me - it looks and feels slightly buckled. It makes the PowerBook feel flawed. To a sane mind it shouldn't matter, but when it the thing costs so much and looks so nice otherwise...

There's nothing I can do about either of these things (and only the display problem is non-trivial), so I suppose I'll have to send the PowerBook back to Apple.

So what I want to know... Am I likely to get the computer replaced or repaired? Might there be a problem getting Apple to acknowledge what seems to be a sporadic problem?

In general: what should I do and what's likely to happen? I can't find much info regarding Apple's warranty/returns policy.

And does anyone know what their policy is regarding trivial aesthetic things like my buckled trackpad? (Or should I learn to shut my eyes?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Hope you got Applecare. Take it to your nearest Apple store and don't leave till they agree to fix it or replace the thing. The 15" PBs had all sorts of problems like the ones you are describing, shouldn't be too big of a deal to get a replacement or just get it fixed, that is if you have AppleCare
  • Reply 2 of 6
    No - I've not got Applecare. Am I in trouble?

I lazily assumed Applecare was for the nervous and the inept.

And there aren't any Apple stores where I live yet (London).

I thought the problems with the 15inch PBs had been sorted by the time I bought mine...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fray Bentos

I lazily assumed Applecare was for the nervous and the inept.

No, AppleCare is for those who are willing to spend some more money to protect a machine for three years and/or get telephone support on it for the same length of time.

If you have bought your laptop in the last year, you can still buy AppleCare. A little-known fact is that AppleCare can be bought up to 1 year after the purchase, and it applies from the date of the computer's purchase.

Of course, if you've bought it in the last year it's still under warranty anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'm either very unlucky or Apple still hasn't sorted the problems on the 15inch Powerbooks:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=196716

I bought mine in February. Same problem as these people were having last Autumn. How very annoying...

Does Apple not spend money on quality control these days?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's got to be bad batches of screens or something, because I bought mine shortly before Christmas and (knock on wood) it's never had problems.