regarding language censorship

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I notice that the F-word is totally blocked out, while Shit is not at all.

is there a reasoning behind this? I asked a couple people which they thought was worse, they told me ****.

I personally am not a fan of any language censorship, so I'm not inclined to know the reasons behind establishing different value to **** than shit. Sure they mean different things, but, why is **** apparently so much worse than shit, that it not only gets censored here, but all over.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    The Bible tells us so.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

The Bible tells us so.

never read it...is that the case for true?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Because every human shits but only adults are supposed to f***.

Kids are not surprised by shit since they've done it all their lives. But they shouldn't need to know about f*** for a long time.

I would say people censor f*** in case kids are on the site.

It's their site, they can do anything they want, so that's moot.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

never read it...is that the case for true?

Nah. I jest. There was a time a bit ago where Brad and Jon were on a censor kick. It started with ****, then a few months later they got on a MicroSoft derivitive kick, where they replaced things like M$ and the like with smilies. Apparently the **** thing is still in place.

It's only a problem for people who swear though. You ****ing swearer.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I'm not arguing that **** should be allowed on AI, I couldn't care less, that's as you mentioned, their prerogative, I just wanted some clarification as to why, in general, **** is looked at in much lower regard than shit.

google is my friend, I know, but I tried many different search terms but couldn't really find anything of much use.

your explanation is pretty good, I wonder is there anything more to it than that?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Nah. I jest. There was a time a bit ago where Brad and Jon were on a censor kick. It started with ****, then a few months later they got on a MicroSoft derivitive kick, where they replaced things like M$ and the like with smilies. Apparently the **** thing is still in place.

It's only a problem for people who swear though. You ****ing swearer.

there is a fine line between swearer and sweater... remember that, cockbite.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Of course they could always make it a requirement that users be 18 or older, then we could say f*** as much as we liked.

But I don't ****ing care either

I tend to not use it much online. Well, that's a ****ing lie if you've read me on thalo.net.....
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Kids are not surprised by shit since they've done it all their lives. But they shouldn't need to know about f*** for a long time.

I'm not sold on that honestly. I don't have kids myself, but my younger brother has 3 ranging from 5-14, and I can assure you 2 out of 3 know the **** word. It's in most everone's vocabulary as far as I can tell, myself probably being the worst of the lot.

Not that I swear for the sake of swearing mind you, it's just that I find the word **** to be incredibly versatile and flexible. A 'catch-all' term if you will.

What other word in the English language that you know of can be a noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, etc.? Good stuff, and very useful in virtually any situation.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    That's why us cleaver users do things to fück with the system.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

What other word in the English language that you know of can be a noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, etc.? Good stuff, and very useful in virtually any situation.

What the **** are you talking about? that's ****ing stupid, **** that...****er.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

there is a fine line between swearer and sweater... remember that, cockbite.

LOL. I haven't been called a 'cockbite' in...well...ever. Good stuff.

To continue:

As far as 'shit' goes however, shit is generally thought of as feces. So it's not nearly as versatile as ****. I've never heard anyone say 'Damn! I'd shit that ass!' or 'Shit me!' or even 'Shitting A straight!'. See?

Shit is a second-class word. **** is the real deal.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    But shit is much more humorous when it's used in place of ****.

e.g What the shit?

you're shitting me! (or the inevitable you're ****ing shitting me!)

that's the shit right there!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

But shit is much more humorous when it's used in place of ****.

Exactly. That's why it withers under the shade of ****. **** is the Robert DeNiro of swear words, while shit is Robin Williams. Both can be equally funny or serious, but there is an inherent respect to the **** word, like it or not.

Shit is a jokester's crutch. **** is a man's pedestal.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Exactly. That's why it withers under the shade of ****. **** is the Robert DeNiro of swear words, while shit is Robin Williams. Both can be equally funny or serious, but there is an inherent respect to the **** word, like it or not.

Shit is a jokester's crutch. **** is a man's pedestal.

you're shitting me
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Probably. Now **** off cockbite.

• Reply 16 of 17
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm closing this thread because it's just that stupid.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Probably. Now **** off cockbite.

you chode