Disappearing optical output....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi There,

I'm hoping the genius bar has a genius who can help me out!

I have a dual-g5 with all software updates. After being left on for "awhile" (maybe an hour or two?) I am unable to use the optical output. Basically, I only get silence.

Logging off and back on doesn't seem to help. The only remedy is a complete restart of the system.

Any ideas, or clues on how to start to trouble shoot this?

I really appreciate it!

-Rene

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    are you leaving iTunes open with Synergy running, or are you opening large .vob files with VLC?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

are you leaving iTunes open with Synergy running, or are you opening large .vob files with VLC?

No, to either.

• Reply 3 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i've seen this happen a few times before with apps that use sound. i have it happen on my machine when i try to play a 4.5GB .vob file in VLC. VLC craps out, and it cuts out my sound across the board.

when you say you lose optical out, do you also lose audio out of the stereo jack as well, or just optical audio?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i've seen this happen a few times before with apps that use sound. i have it happen on my machine when i try to play a 4.5GB .vob file in VLC. VLC craps out, and it cuts out my sound across the board.

when you say you lose optical out, do you also lose audio out of the stereo jack as well, or just optical audio?

I loose output just on the optical out. If I choose my soundsticks in system preferences, it works. If I choose digital out (which is connected to my stereo) it doesn't.

One thing I will try later today, is rebooting my computer, and keeping the output on optical output, and seeing if that "works" around the problem. IE not switching to using my soundsticks, and then switching to optical output.