How to get money back on corrupt iTunes song file?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I purchased a song on the iTunes Music Store and near the end of the song it skips profusely. It also won't upload onto my iPod. It gives me an error whenever I plug my iPod in. I used a Prepaid iTunes Card to buy the song. Is there anyway I can get refunded?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    No, there is no way to get a refund, but you can be allowed to re-download the file. By going to the iTunes support page, enter your issues, and wait for a response. I have only had amazing success when dealing with the iTMS support people.

That being said, off to Digital Hub you go.

Oh shit, I can't do that.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Eeep, I should have noticed that Digital Hub was the correct forum for this. Sorry for the hassle mods.

Thanks very much for your help. I just wrote them with my problem.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    *punt!*
  • Reply 4 of 12
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    So, if I download a song on my machine, and then my machine has to have the OS re-installed, can I download that song again without a hassle?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

So, if I download a song on my machine, and then my machine has to have the OS re-installed, can I download that song again without a hassle?

No, it is your responsibility to back up the music. Apple will only let you re-download a song if there is a problem with the song or the download.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I get that I should back the songs up, but I thought the songs got "locked" to a particular PC. I know you can share the song with 3 other computers, but once you lose the originating PC then what happens?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

I get that I should back the songs up, but I thought the songs got "locked" to a particular PC. I know you can share the song with 3 other computers, but once you lose the originating PC then what happens?

Nothing. The songs aren't locked to your PC directly, they're actually locked to your iTMS account. You can authorise up to 3 machines to play tunes purchased with that account, so it doesn't matter if you chop and change those machines about.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

but once you lose the originating PC then what happens?

As Arnel said, they are not locked to any specific computer. They can be played on any "authorized" computer, but you can only authorize three times.

This means it is important for you to de-authorize any computer BEFORE you reformat it or get rid of it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've reformatted more than three times since my first iTMS purchase, and every time I've forgotten to de-authorize my computer. However, all my purchased music still works fine.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I've reformatted more than three times since my first iTMS purchase, and every time I've forgotten to de-authorize my computer. However, all my purchased music still works fine.

Could be that your iTunes account stores unique info about your computer like the HW address of your network interface... otherwise I am not sure how the authorization could survive through reformatting.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Is there any place we could look to find out more about this? I would think Apple would publish some level of detail about this, though I can't find it. Of course, I guess that would amount to publishing "how to defeat our DRM." Thoughts?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Could be that your iTunes account stores unique info about your computer like the HW address of your network interface... otherwise I am not sure how the authorization could survive through reformatting.

that's exactly right.. i had to have my hard drive replaced on my iBook a couple months ago. luckily, i was able to back up all my music just before it fully died. when i got my computer back, i was worried i'd have to deal with iTunes support to get rid of the old authorization, so i'd still have all 3 available. but, i restored all my music, logged into iTunes, checked my account, and it said i only had the one computer authorized.

i can't find it now, but in some Apple KnowledgeBase document i found the exact details mentioning the link to the MAC address of the network interface. all i could find right now was this:

"While you may need to enter your account information again after initializing the hard disk, initializing the hard disk itself does not remove the computer from the list of authorized computers. If you plan to initialize the hard disk prior to selling or donating your computer, deauthorize the computer first, then initialize the hard disk"