Education Discount

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does Apple actually check if you attend a college?

I want to get an apple laptop from them, with the student discount. However I'm not in college. Do they ask for student ID or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    Yes, they ask and if you purchase at the AppleStore in person, an ID to prove. As far as online or over the phone..not sure. They ask me where I work...
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Hmmm. Allright. Does anyone have any experiences with online buying using the Education program?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Life-n-Death

Hmmm. Allright. Does anyone have any experiences with online buying using the Education program?

I think my sister bought an emac under my dad's name. He's a teacher....

Although, I don't know how it will work for your case.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Allright. It won't be a problem obtaining the Student ID. I just wanted to know if they ask you anything else. Like when did get into the school. Where do you life. etc..

If anyone knows, please tell me. I need to ask my friend for these information before I buy my Powerbook G4
  • Reply 5 of 30
    They require to meet you in person to verify that you are who you claim you are.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i will say that if they can verify that you aren't actually a student, and you bought with a student discount, you'll get charged the full amount retroactively.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    If you choose a K-12 School (say, your High school) at the online Apple Store - they won't/don't ask for any ID - you just get the discount and they ship it out to you like any other purchase. I personally get an employee discount through my work (via an EPP Apple Store site) so the discount is exactly the same as the EDU pricing (and ALL products are offered).
  • Reply 8 of 30
    My experience is in the UK, but anyway... I bought my PB over the phone from Apple using the Higher Education discount (edu discout + more money off ). I specifically asked if they wanted some identification because I was still on my year out and I did not have any student card yet... "No" was the answer. No identification needed, no in-person meeting (Brad, you're taking the piss, right?) and no way to check that I was going to go to the university that I said I was going to go to (this particular Uni entitled me to more money off than most). I was very surprised.

But remember, *Don't steal music*... er-I mean, don't steal computers, or get discounts on them illegally, or something... yeah
  • Reply 9 of 30
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Like I always say. The EDU discount aint that great AND you'll pay sales tax. If you were to buy from someone on line and not pay taxes the cost will be about the same.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Like I always say. The EDU discount aint that great AND you'll pay sales tax. If you were to buy from someone on line and not pay taxes the cost will be about the same.

BUT...you can't do a custom build if you buy from someone else. And free shipping from Apple.

Hmm..checking Smalldog and they do allow custom builds. Example:

PowerBook 15.2in G4/1.25GHz 512/80 5400RPM /Combo/56K/BT/Airport Aluminum

Price:$2524.00

Product Status:Available (7-10 days) (with $500 deposit on BTO)

Here is the same model BTO from Apple via educational discount:

? 1.25GHz PowerPC G4

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm

? Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? AirPort Extreme Card

? 15.2-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $2,119.00

+ 6% tax = $2246.14

Hmmmmm...cheaper it seems.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    We're supposed to pay sales tax on mail-order items too... My tax forms included a line just for internet purchases this year... I think the sales tax issue is going to be moot eventually...they will enforce the collection of sales tax where applicable throughout.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Aww man. I guess I'll just look for the computer on eBay.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Good luck cause I never have any luck finding any deals on there.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    [off topic]I got a Radeon 8500 for £24 off eBay recently, so there are some deals to be had.[/off topic]
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I just got Photoshop CS EDU for Christmas. While I know Apple may be different, you had to send in a (dated) copy of your class schedule
  • Reply 16 of 30
    To get EDU discounts on software, often you can simply walk onto a campus store with no questions asked. I know this works at Boston University's computer store. I mean, I guess they may ask questions if you don't look like a student. Hell, I've bought my hardware there at EDU prices too.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Apple recently increased their ed. discounts. Many machines are now 10% off or more. It used to be around 5%, which would be basically negated with sales tax. My PowerBook was 2299 marked down from 2599. The tax was 5% I think.

And no, I don't think if you order online they can verify anything. But, you will be limited to one model per year..or soemthing like that. Read the details on the site.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    They in some cases can call your school to find out if you are currently enrolled.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    I've been trying to find information on the site, but they don't tell.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    No offence, but why should it matter? Since you are enrolled, you don't have anything to worry about. It would only be if you were trying to scam the system that you'd care...

...and you're not doing that, are you?