Apple's NICs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why don't Apple's onboard 10/100/1000 NICs have status LEDs? Isn't that odd? Even the cheapest Wal-Mart PCs have NICs with status LEDs.

Okay, maybe the amber status lights aren't the hippest, Mr. Jobs, and they may distract from the Macs overall Pure and seemless" design. If so, then do what you have done to your power buttons-make them cool, unique colors like blue, white, etc. But please give me the industry-standard LEDs on the back of the Mac, Jack!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Does apple sell NIC's?

It's built onto the motherboard and I don't really see the need. There is a light that shows if you have a cable plugged in...well duh I know if I have a cable connected. If I can see that light I can see if there is a cord plugged in. Another displays transferring. Well I guess that could be useful, but not really. Why do you need to see that, it's not like it displays how fast it's transferring.

Another light or two is often the difference between 10 and 100 connections. Well again not needed as far as I see.

Convince me the need of these...they're never seen anyway, in the back of the computer. I'm glad my AluBook doesn't have them on the ethernet port though, it'd be annoying when I have it connected, even though with airport I"ll admit it's not often.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    As for the status LEDs... wouldn't those be on the back of the box? Do you really need to see those? I have enough blinkenlight on das router. Sounds totally unnecessary to me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

[BAs for the status LEDs... wouldn't those be on the back of the box? Do you really need to see those? I have enough blinkenlight on das router. Sounds totally unnecessary to me. [/B]

Almost as useful as Windows' "a network cable is unplugged" message. . The funny thing is, the only time that message is useful is when it's wrong. The cable modem may have gone down and that message would tell me that but it's wrong. I love Windows

But on topic: I find the light reassuring when I plug the cable in the back of a machine and I'm all contorted and can't really see what I'm doing. When the light comes on, I know I can try to stand back up.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I'll buy that. I could dig a couple of light blue LEDs back there then.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Side note...no wait on topic about unnecessary lights, I was mad that my AluBook didn't have the power button lit, but I really think it would be a distraction and unneeded now that I've been using it for several months.