Does anyone do serious overclocking on their G4/G5 computers?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm wondering if anyone is able to do any overclocking on their macs. like increasing the speed of the FSB, or changing the processor multiplier, or whatever.

Does anyone use alternative cooling either?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    You should probably check out http://www.xlr8yourmac.com.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    It's my understanding (take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a hardware guy) that it is quite the challenge to overclock a G5. Not sure about the G4s, but from what I understand it really sucks to try to overclock a G5. However, as I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about. Hopefully someone can tell you (us) more.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I overclocked my Beige G3 266 Mhz to 333 and 300 Mhz... It wasnt stable at 333 so I stayed at 300 Mhz. Thats a 8% increase which is quite nice..
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I overclocked my brothers B&W G3 from 400MHz --> 500MHz and ran smoothly for a good 2 months. I have it at 450 now, just so he can play AOM.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Well...since he asked about G4s and G5s I don't think info about a G3 is gonna help him much.

I'm pretty curious about this too, if anyone has any information. But I don't know how many people do it, remember, Mhz isn't everything.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    You can overclock most G4's if i remember correctly... But it requires a hell of a lot of work... Its better to buy a new processor!

Check xlr8yourmac.com for more information!