Florida State U sez MS Access for OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Linky: http://www.lis.fsu.edu/Prospects/ssd...ftware.cfm#Mac

Credit My Source: http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/m...cgi/index.html

Cut-n-Paste (just incase it gets changed) bolding done by me...

Quote:

Required Software: (latest version)

- Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 (included with hardware)

- MS Office X

- Microsoft Access for Mac (available in June)

- Adobe Acrobat Reader

- Adobe Photoshop

- Macromedia Dreamweaver MX

- SPSS

- Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer

Interesting Yes?

Implications?

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Linky: http://www.lis.fsu.edu/Prospects/ssd...ftware.cfm#Mac

Credit My Source: http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/m...cgi/index.html

Cut-n-Paste (just incase it gets changed) bolding done by me...

Interesting Yes?

Implications?

Dave

Vewwy intewesting.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Implications?

Either they're scared of FileMaker 7, or they consider FileMaker 7 to be a huge failure, or they simply realized they *can* make money with the Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Could be an unannounced part of Office 2004. It fits the timeframe, doesn't it?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Historically MS has always downplayed the possibility of bringing access to the mac because of tight win32 api integration and Filemaker. So it seems very unlikely, however the statement on that website (SIS) is pretty strong and gives some credibility.

-Snowster
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Well, I got a response...

Quote:

Thank you for noticing our humble little site.

You are correct, we should change the text on the site.

At the time it was published, there was indeed some intelligence that Access was going to be forthcoming. I don't remember where it came from at the time, but obviously Access has not materialized. Much to my personal dismay since I am now a MAC user myself and all my databases are in Access. Ugh.

Anyway, this information will be corrected as part of a comprehensive reconditioning process we are currently going through for all the content and navigation of the site.

Case closed.

-Snowster
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Microsoft would have been super stupid not to mention this at MacWorld during their Office 2004 demo.

Microsoft Access is one of the reasons why more Macs aren't introduced into the business world. Love it or hate it, Access is a slick app that is heavily used in the business world.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Snowster

Well, I got a response... Case closed. -Snowster

Thanks for the info Snowster!

Now I'll have to add FSU's site in with the rest of the 'less than correct rumor sites' (right above MOSR I'd guess)

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Anyone who spells it "MAC" is guaranteed to have no clue.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just to correct, access is in no way "slick," it just happens to come with every bloody install of microsoft office since the mesozoic era, so every company on earth has approximately 7,038 copies of it lying around at any given time, so they figure "well, we got a copy... may as well see what it can do."

an IT/IS colleague of mine, utterly friggin' brilliant database programmer who had to take a job at our company for a little while to get by and they paid well, was forced to use access because they wouldn't entertain any other options and the person before him had done some "tinkering" in it. even after a year of solid work, he wanted to burn every one of those install cd's. he tried to tie their billing databases into a web front-end he created, and the whole thing would grind to a halt, or start deleting records whenever there were too many people entering data at once. not exactly good when you're dealing with the company's billing...

anyway, i guess i just don't give a flyin' walenda if access ever sees the light of day on mac, because it would just give the sorry-ass app more of a reason to club every other solution like a baby seal.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    What can I say, it is well known that you never, ever, never use access in a production environment ( ie: where people and data depend on it ).

Im sure he knew that, but failing to kill it appropriately was his fault.

What do you do when they wont listen? Just install MSDE anyway, and point the access front end to the MSDE database. They'll never know the difference

Honestly, if Filemaker 7 is only half-way decent it is just leaps and bounds beyond access.