Electoral College Reform/Abolishment Poll

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just curious, in a non-partisan way, to what extent does political affiliation reflect one's interest in Electoral College reform/abolishment.

Please answer honestly.

I'm phrasing the questions as best I can, feel free to point out errors or improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Looks good to me.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Looks good to me.

Naturally we are already 50/50

--

Granted I did have a somewhat partisan inspiration, (actually more cynical than partisan) but the raw data should be useful to all people interested in arguing. Spin does wonders.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    And, boy, do I love arguing.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

And, boy, do I love arguing.

I hope you know I mean that in the proper sense...

Argue as in: To put forth reasons for or against; debate; To attempt to prove by reasoning; maintain or contend; To give evidence of; indicate; To persuade or influence (another), as by presenting reasons.

I tend to forget....quarreling has usurped all other definitions since the invention of the Internet...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    JohnQ, nice poll. however, i feel there should be an independent option. i think that is what you are going for with the Undecided option...however I consider myself an independent but am decided for the next election. Just a matter of word usage, really
  • Reply 6 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    can i assume you want reform? just wondering based on the wording of the poll.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

JohnQ, nice poll. however, i feel there should be an independent option. i think that is what you are going for with the Undecided option...however I consider myself an independent but am decided for the next election. Just a matter of word usage, really

Thanks,

Actually I thought 3rd party would work for independent? I meant undecided for those that might choose affiliation at the last minute but might have an opinion of pro or anti reform/abolishment.

As I can only have 10 items and I still wanted a general Don't care (although that's terribly ambiguous) I wasn't able to refine the options much further anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    slight typo in the poll: apparently you can't be "undecided" AND "anti-reform or abolishment."
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I really meant that I love arguing in every sense of the word.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

can i assume you want reform? just wondering based on the wording of the poll.

Purely for disclosure and not wanting to argue it one way or another, I have tended to vote Democrat, but am totally opposed to tinkering with the Electoral College. Amazing eh?

Anti-reform, anti-abolishment. Pro-better candidates. Blandness means falling back on whoever your party says is the One. Without a charismatic, dynamic, intriguing leader, we'll just get 98.6 degree lumps in suits that half the country hates but chooses because their party says to vote for him and the other half of the country hates less than the other party's guy.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

slight typo in the poll: apparently you can't be "undecided" AND "anti-reform or abolishment."

Yup, thanks. Maybe a mod will be so kind as to edit it for me?

For now just answer the second one for "anti" I guess

Darn cut and paste....it's my undoing.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the only reason i am pro-reform is that the system does its job, except when you get into really close races like 2000, and you have an inordinate number of votes to tally with an expectancy of 100% accuracy (which may be utterly impossible considering the human element and the vast number of reporting districts that weren't around when the system was first instituted).

just like an application that crashes when you click on the wrong thing, or have a certain other type of application running, the system seems in need of a "system level patch."

• Reply 13 of 22
    Oops that last one is wrong now, kind Mod...

So we need 2 independents at the bottom there. thanks

See? Cut and paste is evil, I tell you....
  • Reply 14 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Yup, thanks. Maybe a mod will be so kind as to edit it for me?

Done. And I even managed to flex that extrodinary mod power mussle a bit
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    In my opinion, "Independent" and "Undecided" should be merged into one, since they are essentially the same thing and effectively may subtract votes from one another and confuse participants who don't think too deeply about the poll.

Granted, no one seems to vote either way right now.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Okay. I give up. Any complains from now on are to be directed toward the last option in the poll.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I honestly thought independents were a party proper

So is independent and undecided the same aside from a more flattering label?

Don't both leave themselves open to vote for anyone they choose regardless of the candidates party?

I welcome enlightenment on what independent means.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    The poll seems to have messed up my vote. I chose the very bottom option assuming it was supposed to be independent anti.. but when I cast my vote it went somewhere else. I don't know which category got my vote because I didn't get a paper receipt. I guess the poll is being run by one of the touch-screen voting machine companies.

To express my views in a way in which my radio button couldn't: I choose the right candidate for me thus I'm independent. Altering the electoral system would be shear folly thus I'm anti...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Okay. I give up. Any complains from now on are to be directed toward the last option in the poll.

Ok, we're done! THANKS Anders!

(For those that don't know, polls are not editable except by mods, which is fair to avoid tampering but not so hot if you just did a typo or if the questions merit changing. I'll bash it out longer next time before submitting )
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

The poll seems to have messed up my vote. I chose the very bottom option assuming it was supposed to be independent anti.. but when I cast my vote it went somewhere else. I don't know which category got my vote because I didn't get a paper receipt. I guess the poll is being run by one of the touch-screen voting machine companies.

Fixed. If anyone voted while I was doing the last edit you can go screw a fork.