Onion Rings or French Fries?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

You know what's pitiful: Ketchup. Let's be serious here. Once you go mayo, you never go back.

NO!!!! Ketchup is what keeps me alive!!! I need it!! I crave it! I... um... like ketchup, and while it can be complimented by mayonnaise, ketchup cannot be replaced by it. Nor can ketchup by spelled "catsup", as that is way of the dark side.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    since i find the use of any condiment merely indicates that 1) the food item cannot stand on its own, and 2) makes all foods taste the same and hence converts its carrier to merely a, well, carrier, this indicts french fries as a false entry...
  • Reply 23 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

that is a flagrant foul...

Nope, Cook County voting.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Let's be serious here. Once you go mayo, you never go back.

Nasty! I am defiantly NOT a mayo fan. *Shudder* I recommend watching The Whole Nine Yards. They have a few great sections on mayo that I completely agree with.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Well, that's been my life, honestly. My lover takes half of my precious Rings for herself an hands me a soggy pile of her foul Fries in return.

And she 'insists' on Fries. Insanity, I tell you.

Well, 709, just get two orders of rings and one of fries; then you won't feel deprived when she eats your rings, because there'll be plenty to go around.

I like onion rings best too, but I think they probably soak up more oil than fries do. So I only have rings occasionally, as a special 'throw caution to the winds' treat. I just had some the other day. Yum. They might even be more nutritious than fries, because onions are a fairly good source of nucleic acids...of course, that's raw onions.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Onion rings also don't have the problem with acrylimide formation...
  • Reply 27 of 66
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Kickaha doesn't get many dates I think.

Seriously though, it depends on who is making the fries / rings. Some places have decidedly better fries, some rings. If they were from a place where both are very good, I'd go with the rings, assuming they weren't of the "chunky" variety (the thin, stringy ones are the best IMO).
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Onion Rings dipped in ketchup.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Nasty! I am defiantly NOT a mayo fan. *Shudder* I recommend watching The Whole Nine Yards. They have a few great sections on mayo that I completely agree with.

I don't know why mayo is so unpopular in America. If I have a kid (50/50 chance), I'm going to make sure that I get him or her a little jar of mayo and a spoon at a very young age. That way, the taste will be developed.

What's even better is that most of the people I know who loathe mayo, claim it's liquid death, etc, are the same ones that dump a buttload of cream cheese on their bagels and think nothing of it. Let's face it: Cream cheese is way more unhealthy than mayo. It's a satuarated vs unsaturated fat thing, and we all know how that works out.

Mayo is a pretty healthful spread: None of the sugar carbs from ketchup and not the huge load of saturated fat from cream cheese.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Sweet potato fries with fruit jelly....
  • Reply 31 of 66
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    ONION RINGS!!!!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 66
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Thick cut French (Steak) Fries, large granular salt, and a smokey BBQ sauce.

• Reply 33 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

... I'm going to make sure that I get him or her a little jar of mayo and a spoon at a very young age. That way, the taste will be developed.

I can see it now. Little jars of babyfood at safeway: Peas, carrots, applesauce, mayo.

Interesting point; It got me thinking. My choice to use ketchup with fries/rings has little to do with the actual taste of ketchup (which I use sparingly). I think my preference has more to do with the acidity in the ketchup vs the oils rather than the tomato. I am also a big fish&chip fan and find many other oil/vinegar combinations irresistible.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    we can't let 709 down... more onion ring people vote...
  • Reply 35 of 66
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    French Fries please.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    sorry 709, i like 'em both, but i gotta give the props to the fries
  • Reply 37 of 66
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    mark me down for fries. onion rings are a loathsome food.

Quote:

What's even better is that most of the people I know who loathe mayo, claim it's liquid death, etc, are the same ones that dump a buttload of cream cheese on their bagels and think nothing of it. Let's face it: Cream cheese is way more unhealthy than mayo. It's a satuarated vs unsaturated fat thing, and we all know how that works out.

well, not a fan of cream cheese myself, but i tend to pick ketchup over mayo because i like the taste of ketchup, and find mayo disgusting most everywhere. the only food mayo seems to go well with is tuna (and i suppose the unforunately caught dolphin). i got mayo once with me fries at a shindig in sweden. i was utterly repulsed. and another time, also in sweden, the counter girl laughed at me for wanting ketchup at a mickey d's. she was like, "do we even have that?" filthy buggers.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Oh man, you need to try pomme frite sauce Think tartar sauce, but not as tart.

Actually, that's my favorite sauce on fries: tartar sauce. Malt vinegar on big ol' thick cuts is nummy as well. I couldn't *stand* ketchup until I was in college, dunno why.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh man, you need to try pomme frite sauce Think tartar sauce, but not as tart.

Actually, that's my favorite sauce on fries: tartar sauce. Malt vinegar on big ol' thick cuts is nummy as well. I couldn't *stand* ketchup until I was in college, dunno why.

How about a sauce with a little horseradish in it?

When I have prime rib, I always like the horseradish sauce the best. Mouth starting to water.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Oh god yes.

Even better: Take one steak, sear the outside on the hottest grill you can get. (Personally, I prefer a blowtorch, but that's just me.) Slice off the cooked bits. Take the now safe interior raw meat, toss in a food processor with a ton of horseradish (fresh root if available), and a touch of garlic. Hit that button.

Steak tartar.

I guarantee, if you like prime rib + horseradish, this will send you to the moon.