3GHz G5 Macs, when?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm curious when people think we'll see 3GHz G5s so I've created this poll. There's bound to be lurking Apple employees or those in-the-know who can vote anonymously without fear of retribution.

Recall, Steve promised us we'd see 3GHz G5's by July. Will he fulfill his promise?

After this poll gets a nice sample of votes, I'll find the average of the distribution and determine what the Appleinsider community (as a whole) thinks is the likely timeframe for 3GHz G5 Macs.

{edit: I just noticed the typo in the title of this poll. It should read, "3GHz G5 Macs, when?"}

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I'm curious when people think we'll see 3GHz G5s so I've created this poll. There's bound to be lurking Apple employees or those in-the-know who can vote anonymously without fear of retribution.

Recall, Steve promised us we'd see 3GHz G5's by July. Will he fulfill his promise?

Announced in April, Available in June. Steve likes to take in money before he delivers, long before he delivers.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

After this poll gets a nice sample of votes, I'll find the average of the distribution and determine what the Appleinsider community (as a whole) thinks is the likely timeframe for 3GHz G5 Macs.

BTW thanks for the link that will come in handy some day.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:

Topic: 3GHz G4 Macs, when?

NEVER!!!

• Reply 4 of 39
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    3 Ghz...?

Not before next year.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    The average of the distribution as of 23 votes points to a date of July 14, 2004.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Hahaha...you're all going to be very disappointed...G4s will never reach 3GHz.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    The average as of 33 votes now points to July 5, 2004 as the likely release date.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    What about the average as of 40 votes?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Average as of 44 votes indicates July 20, 2004.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    The average of the distribution as of 65 votes points to August 5, 2004.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I only voted Dec. 2004 because you didn't have anything later. Always remember to include "Other", otherwise your results are skewed.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    September-October, my, we are a dour bunch (including myself). Steve haaassss to deliver something because he made the remarkably rare foreward looking statement last year.

Even Steve is not safe from the Wrath of Steve.

Steve (on Reliant): Buried alivvve!

Steve (on the Genesis moon): STEEEVVVE!!

Screed ...Shut it, it's a Monday.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    bzbz Posts: 40member
    The only thing that nobody seems to be taking into account here is that last year, around this time, NOBODY thought that Apple would come out with the power that is the current G5 (dual 2Ghz). Predictions about drives, ram, speed, were not up to what came out, and we (the collective we) were blown away by what was announced.

Forward almost a year, and I think Apple is going to 3Ghz sooner. They had 2Ghz last year (this time), IBM has ANNOUNCED 2.5Ghz which in my mind, means that Apple let them announce that, knowing they were going straight to 3.

Ok, maybe it is all wishful thinking but if the new G5 PowerMacs come out at 3Ghz with a new set of LCDs and a kick ass video card, money will flow from me to Apple very quickly.

BZ
  • Reply 14 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

September-October, my, we are a dour bunch (including myself).

I don't think we are a dour bunch at all.

Jobs said by the end of summer '04 at the Paris expo.

That means september, which I figured is when they'll be announced and you'll actually be able to get it in october, which I voted for.

I don't see how expecting what was claimed is dour, or optimistic for that matter. Just expected.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    As of 93 votes, the average of the distribution points to August 16, 2004.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Of course, this doesnt matter too much, if it happens within 2004. We just need an update between now and then. 2.5-2.6 tomorrow please?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    It looks like the single 1.8s and refurbs are all sold out. MacMall has some single 1.8s, but it looks like they don't have very many. Inventory levels seem to be very low...
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Thank you mods for correcting the title.

The average as of 101 votes stands unchanged at August 16. Have I hit anyone's birthday?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Well why not do what Steve did for the G5 last year. Announce and show at WWDC then allow preorders at in July and not ship till September everybodys happy.

John
  • Reply 20 of 39
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Well with the current G5 now posted on the Apple home page, it looks like more and more like later than sooner.

I mean why would you advertise a machine only to bump up the speed in a few weeks. That would only serve to piss buyers of the current model off.