Need some help with audio input...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am using a TiBook g4 400 and I have no sound input (except for the built-in mic). I have seen go between products but would like to make it as simple as possible.

In a perfect world I would buy a stereo reciever with Firewire, but I can't seem to come up with any on google.

1. Does anyone make a receiver with firewire?

2. What software will I need to convert the inputed audio to ACC or MP3.

I have a huge collection of Cassettes that I want to ultimatly convert and like wise, I would like to output sound to the Stereo so I can tape some of my music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If your stereo had a headphone port you could use a miniplug to connect the headphone out to line/mic in on your laptop. Than use a simple program like Audio in to record the sound. That's probably the simplest way. Firewire A/D converters are usually expensve.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

If your stereo had a headphone port you could use a miniplug to connect the headphone out to line/mic in on your laptop. Than use a simple program like Audio in to record the sound. That's probably the simplest way. Firewire A/D converters are usually expensve.

This laptop does not have a mic/in...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'll double check the specs, but I think all Apple laptops have a line/mic in port.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

I'll double check the specs, but I think all Apple laptops have a line/mic in port.

Some of the old TiBooks didn't. My old TiBook 550, for example.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I learn something every day.

THIS is kind of popular. $40 though. I don't think you will find anything cheaper with firewire. Prettymuch you have to have really high-end audio equipment to even need the bandwidth of firewire.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

I learn something every day.

THIS is kind of popular. $40 though. I don't think you will find anything cheaper with firewire. Prettymuch you have to have really high-end audio equipment to even need the bandwidth of firewire.

I have looked at this, it might be a last resort. I would still prefer to have a direct link. I already use "Audio In" (it is an easy enough to use product) but the AIFF format is large and I haven't found a way to convert it to ACC or MP3.

Another Question I have is whether anyone makes a piece of software that allows you to take sound bites out of a recording with out rerecording it? I only assume someone does but I am on a budget.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

... the AIFF format is large and I haven't found a way to convert it to ACC or MP3....

iTunes will do that for you.

<SNIP> (Wrong asawer)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

I have looked at this, it might be a last resort. I would still prefer to have a direct link. I already use "Audio In" (it is an easy enough to use product) but the AIFF format is large and I haven't found a way to convert it to ACC or MP3.

Another Question I have is whether anyone makes a piece of software that allows you to take sound bites out of a recording with out rerecording it? I only assume someone does but I am on a budget.

the iMic is pretty good, it has many good reviews...i think you can do all this w/ quicktime pro..

iMic $35 - QT pro $35 = $70...that sounds like within most budgets...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Being a Hi-Fi geek I was looking for a straight connection to the stereo rack. I will probably end up getting an intermediate device. For others looking for ConE devices the third link has a decent list of products using firewire.

The first two links talk about firewire in A/V products and getting them all to play nice together. This is still somewhat of a pipedream Apple please help.

http://www.inventures.com/comm/havi.asp?nav_id=2.2

http://www.havi.org/index.asp

http://www.1394ta.org/