Onion Rings or French Fries?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh god yes.

Even better: Take one steak, sear the outside on the hottest grill you can get. (Personally, I prefer a blowtorch, but that's just me.) Slice off the cooked bits. Take the now safe interior raw meat, toss in a food processor with a ton of horseradish (fresh root if available), and a touch of garlic. Hit that button.

Steak tartar.

I guarantee, if you like prime rib + horseradish, this will send you to the moon.

So, do I get the blowtorch at the hardware store, or the gourmet cooking store? I've seen one used on creme brulee a few times.

So how is steak tartar served? I'd LOVE to go to the moon.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Industrial blowtorches get hotter, I prefer them, but you have to watch your fuel source.

And hey, serve it any way that gets your rockets off.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Quote:

Industrial blowtorches get hotter, I prefer them, but you have to watch your fuel source.

And hey, serve it any way that gets your rockets off.

Okay.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Oh god yes.

Even better: Take one steak, sear the outside on the hottest grill you can get. (Personally, I prefer a blowtorch, but that's just me.) Slice off the cooked bits. Take the now safe interior raw meat, toss in a food processor with a ton of horseradish (fresh root if available), and a touch of garlic. Hit that button.

Steak tartar.

I guarantee, if you like prime rib + horseradish, this will send you to the moon.

You really think that bacteria can't perfuse the center of the steak? Or are you trying to flash sterilize the center?
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

You really think that bacteria can't perfuse the center of the steak? Or are you trying to flash sterilize the center?

Common infections such as E coli are surface contaminants only - they come from ruptured digestive organs during processing, and are put onto the surface of the meat. It isn't *in* the meat, it's *on* the meat.

Steaks have a well defined surface - this is why you can safely eat them rare inside.

Hamburger is almost *all* surface, which is why you have to cook it all the way through.

Parasites such as trichinosis in pork are another matter entirely, but beef is almost always parasite free, at least for those that attack humans.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:

Common infections such as E coli are surface contaminants only - they come from ruptured digestive organs during processing, and are put onto the surface of the meat. It isn't *in* the meat, it's *on* the meat.

Steaks have a well defined surface - this is why you can safely eat them rare inside.

Hamburger is almost *all* surface, which is why you have to cook it all the way through.

Parasites such as trichinosis in pork are another matter entirely, but beef is almost always parasite free, at least for those that attack humans.

What about spraying the surface of the steak with wine or vodka? Would that kill the bacteria sufficiently? Or marinating it briefly in something with an alcoholic content?

How do you feel about the safety of salmon these days? Haven't they been contaminated with some heinous substance? (or so I read somewhere)
  • Reply 47 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

How do you feel about the safety of salmon these days? Haven't they been contaminated with some heinous substance? (or so I read somewhere)

There is that Mercury scare going around. But I think that is calming down a bit.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

There is that Mercury scare going around. But I think that is calming down a bit.

Actually the mercury is still there...
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Actually the mercury is still there...

Is it in the fish-hatchery salmon, or in the wild-born salmon?

The former, right? I think I read about it in Newsweek last year.

And hasn't the icelandic cod been contaminated by something too.

And here I've been wanting to get back to a fish diet. \
  • Reply 50 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Actually I remember Mercury being higher in farmed fish. I think that was the shock that started the whole thing. Fish farming was supposed to be better than the cards turned.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Tuna (IIRC) also has large amounts of heavy metal contaminant... :/
  • Reply 52 of 66
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    At this place called Wegmans, which is painfully yuppified supermarket 'round these parts, they sell irradiated ground beef. Nothing better than a bleeding burger. The advertising poster says "Irradiated ground beef: cook it how you like it."

And to keep this thing on topic, the blood-mayo mix is excellent for bathing the wedge-cut fries in.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

What about spraying the surface of the steak with wine or vodka? Would that kill the bacteria sufficiently? Or marinating it briefly in something with an alcoholic content?

Ah, ceviche. Take some seafood (works best, but other meats are okay too) and marinate in a highly acidic liquid for about 24 hours. Lime juice with chiles and cilantro is a favorite for shrimp. Eat. No cooking required. The high acid kills off any harmful buggers, and the oxidation from the acid is equivalent to the oxidation from cooking. It *looks* cooked.

Quote:

Others have answered this one - unless you're planning on bearing a child, I don't believe it's a major health concern.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

At this place called Wegmans, which is painfully yuppified supermarket 'round these parts, they sell irradiated ground beef. Nothing better than a bleeding burger. The advertising poster says "Irradiated ground beef: cook it how you like it."

Whoo-hoo! I'm all for irradiated food, uneducated greenies be damned.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    mmmm, irradiated food...

the only thing I worry about is a sudden rise in the infections caused by D. radiodurans...
  • Reply 56 of 66
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I can't believe that French Fries have taken the lead.

Lord Almighty...have you no taste buds on your tongue???
  • Reply 57 of 66
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Well, I voted onion rings altought it's really a toss up for me. (I have a thing for underdogs.)

It's a mood thing really. And it has to be with a hamburger.

I never get a "craving" for either. Thank goodness. I have enough weaknesses as it is. \

• Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:

Ah, ceviche. Take some seafood (works best, but other meats are okay too) and marinate in a highly acidic liquid for about 24 hours. Lime juice with chiles and cilantro is a favorite for shrimp. Eat. No cooking required. The high acid kills off any harmful buggers, and the oxidation from the acid is equivalent to the oxidation from cooking. It *looks* cooked.

How do you know about all this stuff? (ceviche, steak tartar)

Would it be okay to throw the shrimp on the grill briefly to get that nice broiled flavor? I realize it doesn't need cooking, but...

Quote:

Others have answered this one - unless you're planning on bearing a child, I don't believe it's a major health concern.

A kid broke a thermometer at school one day, and the Hazardous Materials team was called out. They wore impenetrable suits.

My dad had an ore sample with liquid mercury in it when I was a kid. I dumped out some of the mercury and played with it in my hand. It's a miracle I didn't put it in my mouth. Who knows. Maybe I dddddddid...
  • Reply 59 of 66
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I love something called an "onion blossom." It's basically a whole onion strategically cut, batter-dipped, and deep fried. Love it.

But I still voted for french fries because they are more available can be found in much greater variety. Steak fries, waffle fries, string fries, etc. And they also have the unique ability to polarize a nation! Freedom fries, anyone?
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

And to keep this thing on topic, the blood-mayo mix is excellent for bathing the wedge-cut fries in.

I was a carnivore before I read this post.

But suddenly I think I've become an herbivore.