The Best Looking (Pretty) Icons

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wondering what your favorite icons are. I don't like IE, but I think it's blue E is really cool and wish I knew how to make letters like that. I'll have to give it a try soon. The Software Update icon isn't too bad looking either, although I've always liked the blue network icon.

I'm partial to the icon I made for firefox as well, but I guess anyone likes what they themselves made right?

Safari is pretty nifty as well, I don't like the silver boarder, but the blue is pretty cool, and the detail of putting the continents in the background was a very nice touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'm a pretty big fan of the Photoshop and illustrator icons, as well as the Final Cut Pro icon (I'm assuming most people haven't seen that one, it's a little like the iMovie icon, but on steroids.)

I also like the iTunes icon, especially how it changes colors with each major release of it. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    All the Adobe CS icons are really neat. It's cool how they take the outline of an object and put it around a close up of it.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    The blue iTunes logo was the best. That is the one I am using now.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Yeah, I still use the blue iTunes logo too.

I hate the Adobe CS icons.

I think the best icons are the Snow.E and Snow.E Aqua sets. Simple and clean.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    iDisk
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Currently I'm using Xanthic Eye for drives and World of Aqua for the bulk of other icons.

InterfaceLIFT has a huge collection. Anything from Hein Mevissen is gold. Or was... (click link)

As far as Apple icons go, the latest iTunes looks great (love green).
  • Reply 7 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Are we limited to the stock application icons?

I really like the style of the Smoothicons series found at www.iconfactory.com
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I also like the iTunes icon, especially how it changes colors with each major release of it. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Shows how wet behind the ears I am -- I've only ever known green (ahhhhh...)
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    i like the biohazard set from xicons.com
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Shows how wet behind the ears I am -- I've only ever known green (ahhhhh...)

There has been 4 versions of iTunes so far. From what I remember, there has been Blue, Purple, Green, and another color that I can't think of right now.

People make icons for it too, in all sorts of cool colors.

http://www.gowan.us/itunes.jpg

Edit: These aren't official Apple icons, just ones that people have created.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    iTunes' first icon had three single notes on it. They were blue, purple and red. The second version's icon was the blue one, with the 'double' note we have now. Then came iTunes 3, which had a purple 'double' note. And last for now is iTunes 4, which has a green note.

Thank you, Wayback Machine.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Wow...I had forgotten about the old icons...I just remembered the colors. Wayback Machine rules. Brings back old memories...it's cool to see how the interface has changed from 1 all the way to 4. We've come a long way!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Maestro has a cool rover icon
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I had the Snow.E icons on my computer for a long time, but reverted to the default set when I installed Panther.

And while I know they're not icons, I love the Adobe splash screens. I haven't seen the ones for CS, but the latest Acrobat splash screen is very cool, and the one for Image Ready 7 is beautiful.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    The CS splash screens are really neat...well at least the image part, I don't really like the white box because it's so plain, but what else are you gonna do? The CS icons are just small versions of their splash screen which is cool.

That mars rover is a picture that was extracted...I mean I know we have geeks on here, but if you think a mars rover is pretty, well...

Some of the icons are neat, but some of them look like gloried clip art

To each their own, here are pics of the icons I was talking about...

Explorer: Safari: FireFox (Me):

FireFox (Original): QuarkXPress:

CS Suite

Photoshop: ImageReady: GoLive:

Illustrator: InDesign:

Who knows, maybe I have a thing for browsers\

I guess I just don't like a real cartoony looking icons like Acquisition and Poisoned as an example.

Edit: Do all these icons look darker then normal? Perhaps the grey background.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

FireFox:

That's not FireFox's icon. If you're going to talk icons, post the real thing and not your Illustrator copy.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That's not FireFox's icon. If you're going to talk icons, post the real thing and not your Illustrator copy.

Don't shoot!

I should have specified what was what, and I fixed it. Do I get any redemption points for at least saying about it's my own earlier?

Quote:

m partial to the icon I made for firefox as well, but I guess anyone likes what they themselves made right?

Eh?\

I guess I should have done Save For Web because they are all a lot more magenta than they should be.

Example, this is what it should look like, not that red:

• Reply 18 of 22
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Maestro has a cool rover icon

Im interested to download it but to take up half of my ram i don't don't think so.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    stylistically, i like the adobe cs icons, but, just like everything else, they are VERY marketing driven, as opposed to, you know, telling in a snapshot what the app actually does. i guess their apps' icons have been that way for a while now.

by the way, i'll throw in my least favorite.... macromedia. you friggin' name it. i don't know what annoys me more, the almost illegible-at-times klingon script they have for letters, or the fact that this branding doesn't tell you what the app does, or how they don't change the icons between revisions (dreamweaver mx and mx 2004 are EXACTLY the same), or how anyone outside an english-speaking country might not understand what the hell they are at all. as a matter of fact, i think i dislike any "letter" icons. hell, my dock is practically alphabet soup as it is.

as far as favorites, just about ANYthing from David Brasgalla at iconfactory. i just don't know how he does it. apple's icons are generally very good (though the finder icon seems to hedge towards marketing than anything else).
  • Reply 20 of 22
    I like the GarageBand icon. It's a work of art. m.