Trash Help - I'm Stuck

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone. I just recently moved Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 into the trash, but can't seem to delete two items in the trash. Two items remain - the main "yellow Adobe folder" and the "plug-ins" folder. It keeps telling me tha "the operation cannot be completed because the item "Icon" is locked. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Single click the item to highlight it and press apple+I to get info on it. There will be two checkboxes on the get info window, uncheck "Locked". If that doesn't work, try restarting your machine, that will do the trick sometimes.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    treetree Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Single click the item to highlight it and press apple+I to get info on it. There will be two checkboxes on the get info window, uncheck "Locked". If that doesn't work, try restarting your machine, that will do the trick sometimes.

hmm. I tried that but the "locked box" cannot be selected for some reason. This is so weird. The two folders simply refuse to leave.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    My guess would be that they are files that are owned by Root and therefore can not be deleted by you. Try changing the owners of the files/folders to admin (yourself) and than take another shot at it. If that doesn't work there is some way to do it by command line...but I don't exactly know it right now. Tell me if changing the owner of the file doesn't work, and I'll figure out the command line for it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    If you are lazy look on VersionTracker for a force delete. There are tons of scripts written for this purpose.

Typically I just use the terminal. If you browse through this forum I am sure this questions has already been asked and it will give you the code (sorry but I am really tired, so if you can't find the code DMBand will provide it for you!)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    treetree Posts: 30member
    great! that would be awesome. i've tried everything and nothing seems to work. any help would be much appreciated. Thank You.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    couldn't you just hold option while you emptied the trash? wouldn't that do it?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Code:

rm offending_file.(extension)

That should do the trick for you. Make sure you put the underscore in as a space or it won't work. Also (extension) should be replaced with whatever file extension the files have, if there is none, than don't put it in.

If that doesn't work (it gives you the invalid or incorrect directory thing) try to type out the filepath so it can find it.

Code:

rm hddname/users/shortusername/trash/offending_file

Give those a try, and type in

Code:

man rm

in the terminal if none of that works, you can find some good information about the rm command line.

Good luck.