Help me...Logic Board Problems (I Think).

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alright, just before I was about to install 10.3.3 last night my iBook's screen started to dim and then get bright again and then dim, darker, darker, black, lighter, bright...

It was fine for about an hour when I was installing the update. Then it started again. Dim, darker, darker, lighter, darker, bright.

I think this is the notorious iBook's logic board problem, but I have one problem- my iBook is one of the original 500MHz dual USB iBooks (not in the serial number range that apple is fixing for free) and I don't have applecare...

How much is it to get fixed? It only happens about every hour and I suppose I could live with it for now. I'd like to get a new computer anyway because this thing is starting to show its age. But I don't have much money and don't really want to get a G4.

What would you guys recommend I do? I was planning on getting a G5 tower and 20" display sometime in the semi-near future to accompany my iBook, but if my iBook decides to crap out I can't live without a laptop so I would be forced to spend my money on a new laptop (powerbook), but then I'm forced into having a G4 for the next few years- which I wasn't planning.

I can get a

1GHz 15" powerbook with all the goodies for about $2100 (512 1 dimm, superdrive, backlit keyboard, airport)

or a

12" with 512 ram, airport, superdrive, and 17" apple display for about $2300

or

17" for $2400

or

12" iBook with 640 ram, airport, bluetooth (screen is dimming as I write this), for $1300

Basically I want a much speed as possible with more screen real-estate, but I'm happy with the size of the iBook, and I want to keep it under $2500

What should I do (screen just went black- noooooo its getting worse)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Alright, just before I was about to install 10.3.3 last night my iBook's screen started to dim and then get bright again and then dim, darker, darker, black, lighter, bright...

It was fine for about an hour when I was installing the update. Then it started again. Dim, darker, darker, lighter, darker, bright.

I think this is the notorious iBook's logic board problem, but I have one problem- my iBook is one of the original 500MHz dual USB iBooks (not in the serial number range that apple is fixing for free) and I don't have applecare...

How much is it to get fixed? It only happens about every hour and I suppose I could live with it for now. I'd like to get a new computer anyway because this thing is starting to show its age. But I don't have much money and don't really want to get a G4.

What would you guys recommend I do? I was planning on getting a G5 tower and 20" display sometime in the semi-near future to accompany my iBook, but if my iBook decides to crap out I can't live without a laptop so I would be forced to spend my money on a new laptop (powerbook), but then I'm forced into having a G4 for the next few years- which I wasn't planning.

I can get a

1GHz 15" powerbook with all the goodies for about $2100 (512 1 dimm, superdrive, backlit keyboard, airport)

or a

12" with 512 ram, airport, superdrive, and 17" apple display for about $2300

or

17" for $2400

or

12" iBook with 640 ram, airport, bluetooth (screen is dimming as I write this), for $1300

Basically I want a much speed as possible with more screen real-estate, but I'm happy with the size of the iBook, and I want to keep it under $2500 ( can get just about any student/developer discount available), I'd like to do some minor gaming if possible too- I don't really care about graphics, just as long as the game play is reasonably smooth (unreal tournament 2004 and Doom 3).

What should I do (screen just went black- noooooo its getting worse)?