Kerry a liar?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Poverty is defined on a national scale as earning below the national cost of living. So while comparing this to the impoverished in say Guatemala gives you a sense that us americans have it all right, it is not a legitimate comparison when thinking about the overall implications of poverty in this country. I also find the citations of welfare abusers are a bit one sided, because I can certainly cite abuse of Social Security by well off people, and abuse of tax laws by large corporations which have far more profound effects than one person being able to buy a new toyota...
  • Reply 102 of 162
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

We have heard this yarn before...

I love fighting with people who think they have a RIGHT to take money I have EARNED, so that someone else can shirk the same responsibilites that I carry each day. Simply amazing. I worked for that money- and they can too... but instead I have the IRS with a gun to my head telling me "you must practice charity!"

• Reply 103 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

How about you tell me what in my post is not correct, in your view? I mean, tossing a PDF at me does not really answer any of the points I made.

Why don't you read the pdf... I wasn't actually responding to the obvious and erroneously thought out remarks you make in your post.
  • Reply 104 of 162
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

[B] I can certainly cite abuse of Social Security by well off people,/B]

Does that mean I can get your vote to abolish Social Security? Woo HOO!
  • Reply 105 of 162
    Quote:

I love fighting with people who think they have a RIGHT to take money I have EARNED, so that someone else can shirk the same responsibilites that I carry each day. Simply amazing. I worked for that money- and they can too... but instead I have the IRS with a gun to my head telling me "you must practice charity!"

Yeah, I work for my money too. and i believe the government is in a better position than i to do good works with the money i pay in taxes.....
  • Reply 106 of 162
    Quote:

Does that mean I can get your vote to abolish Social Security? Woo HOO!

Nope... It has problems as all federal systems do...
  • Reply 107 of 162
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Jesus Christ man!
  • Reply 108 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Jesus Christ man!

Does this or anything you have ever written constitute a retort? Is there thought behind the ? Is there thought behind using Jesus Christ as your explicative?
  • Reply 109 of 162
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Jesus Christ man!

Are you a student at Penn State?

Thoth
  • Reply 110 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thoth2

Are you a student at Penn State?

Thoth

Why do you ask?

As for the thought behind the comment...The Government has no business in redistributing our wealth, it is just wrong. Get that through your head, equalized opportunity is different than everyone being equal.
  • Reply 111 of 162
    What equalize oppourtunity?

Explain how that works... think about it for a second or three...
  • Reply 112 of 162
    Quote:

equalized opportunity is different than everyone being equal.

And there we have it, ladies and gents. Everyone isn't equal...
  • Reply 113 of 162
    Quote:

And there we have it, ladies and gents. Everyone isn't equal...

Exactly. Now we are getting somewhere.

Everyone should have the equal ability to succede, not everyone will or even should.
  • Reply 114 of 162
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Why do you ask?

As for the thought behind the comment...The Government has no business in redistributing our wealth, it is just wrong. Get that through your head, equalized opportunity is different than everyone being equal.

I ask because I wonder if you have Federally subsidized student loans.
  • Reply 115 of 162
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Poverty is defined on a national scale as earning below the national cost of living. So while comparing this to the impoverished in say Guatemala gives you a sense that us americans have it all right, it is not a legitimate comparison when thinking about the overall implications of poverty in this country. I also find the citations of welfare abusers are a bit one sided, because I can certainly cite abuse of Social Security by well off people, and abuse of tax laws by large corporations which have far more profound effects than one person being able to buy a new toyota...

I like you...
  • Reply 116 of 162
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Exactly. Now we are getting somewhere.

Everyone should have the equal ability to succede, not everyone will or even should.

Does a child from an impoverished family have the same opportunity as a child from a wealthy family? Once you realize that we don't have equality of opportunity in this country, you'll come around.
  • Reply 117 of 162
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

He has a point about poverty. Federal money has not cured it. State money has not cured it. In PA, we have some of the most liberal welfare laws in the nation. You know what that causes? People come to PA to collect welfare. Gee...imagine.

As for the name calling...I think that's out of line. But that's not my job, so whatever.

That's rich coming you after some of the things I've heard coming in my direction.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Please expand on that whole line of reasoning, because I would love to hear it.

I am not affiliated with any political party, nor want to be. I am a mere observer.

Sometimes I like to argue, when I feel I am right I suppose, but the same can be said of most here, so what exactly is your point?

Well the first part should have made enough sense, it is possible to not be affiliated with a party and still have right-wind leanings, or left-wing leanings, or to move back and forth as issues that pertain to your well being favor one or the other....etc...etc.

as for you liking to argue, it was just a mere question/comment, in the past few political threads you have been one of the more outspoken, even in the face of tremendous scrutiny and evidence against your cases, but you've still stayed stalwart to whatever cause you had, people that do this, generally don't ever care to change their mind, or let anything change their mind, they just, as I mentioned, like to argue.

this isn't a knock on you, just something I've noticed from a couple years of participating in internet forums, you may or may not fit this description, as with almost everyone who argues here, arguments on the internet are pretty pointless anyway, it's naive to think you'll actually change anyone's mind on something, the best you can hope for is agreeing to disagree, and even that is petty sometimes. Sure there are exceptions, but most of the time, regardless of what people say ("show me evidence to the contrary and I'll change my mind") they never actually will, ya know?
  • Reply 119 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Does a child from an impoverished family have the same opportunity as a child from a wealthy family? Once you realize that we don't have equality of opportunity in this country, you'll come around.

The point is to work towards that, by other means than excessive ammounts of do-nothing programs. Equal opportunity is a Republican philosophy, equality is a Democratic dream.
  • Reply 120 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thoth2

I ask because I wonder if you have Federally subsidized student loans.

I have no such loans, luckily my tuition is only a small amount, since I have academic scholarships and parents that work for the University.