Is it OK for the .gov to make "news" for local broadcasts?

homhom
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The NY Times had a great article on the front page today about H&HS creating video stories for local tv news programs.

Quote:

Federal investigators are scrutinizing television segments in which the Bush administration paid people to pose as journalists praising the benefits of the new Medicare law, which would be offered to help elderly Americans with the costs of their prescription medicines.

Now, we all know that all politicians use their official positions to help their election bids, like sending out "What the Congressman has been up to" letters using the tax payers' dime. But is this too far? Should the government be making news segments knowing that local stations have cut their new gathering operations significantly?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

The NY Times had a great article on the front page today about H&HS creating video stories for local tv news programs.

Now, we all know that all politicians use their official positions to help their election bids, like sending out "What the Congressman has been up to" letters using the tax payers' dime. But is this too far? Should the government be making news segments knowing that local stations have cut their new gathering operations significantly?

Well... <Jubelum's computer explodes as Black Helicopter flies over...>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

I've heard it's been done before. That being said, I have some issues with it.

"Oh look! The infomercial for Medicare is on, honey!"
  • Reply 3 of 10
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    LOL, that's actually quite funny. In a sort of pathetic way. I wonder if it's time to bring back the Kuwaiti ambassador's daughter again?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The answer is an unequivocal "No!" IMO, but the Bush Administration is not the only group that has done this. Doesn't make it anymore ethical but that's the game they play I guess. Apparently some news venues like it because they have the option to not use anything other than the audio quotes or the video footage, then adding in their own reporting.

Either way I don't think any government body should be allowed to pose PR as "news". It's unethical any way you slice it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Well... <Jubelum's computer explodes as Black Helicopter flies over...>

Oh, how sweet it is!

<Artman @_@ wiping tears of hilarity from eyes.>

POLITV...From US straight to your couchpotato ass! 8)

8:00PM - Is Sen. John Kerry an Abraham Lincoln CLONE?

9:00PM - Larry King: Interview with the Baghdad Stunt Turkey

10:00PM - Ralph Nader: The Other White Meat

11:00PM to Infinity - West Wing Marathon...

• Reply 6 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sounds like some good intentioned marketing gone bad.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    No problem... as long as they slug "Actor portrayal" under the Journalist,

the way "Doctors" in drug commercials are captioned "Not a real doctor".

I'd expect the various Press Associations to protest, using similar arguments to those they make when the disguise of 'journalist' is used by security forces in such a way that it jeopardizes the safety or perceived neutrality of the press in future. While 'harm to reputation' may be difficult to prove legally, overtly political comment purporting to be 'impartial journalism' impugns the profession. Advertising supplements in papers and magazines are required to declare themselves, much like lobbyists need to announce what interest they're funded by. Ditto political marketing, IMO.

Quote:

Federal law prohibits the use of federal money for "publicity or propaganda purposes" not authorized by Congress. In the past, the General Accounting Office has found that federal agencies violated this restriction when they disseminated editorials and newspaper articles written by the government or its contractors without identifying the source.

... From the article

As long as they attribute the source honestly, it might be acceptable.

Although there were those form letters they distributed in Iraq for soldiers to sign and send home. Full of "Iraqis are welcoming us" hyperbole, many parents forwarded their letters to local papers for publication (as was the grand plan, one might suspect). At some point, people connected the dots that these letters were all identical, and the cynicism of the government was exposed. If they had instead captioned the letter "Written by the Propagandists, signed by your family member", perhaps the blowback wouldn't have been as bad.

And for those who doubt the precedent for pr spin masquerading as manufactured 'news'...

Remember December 2000 and the "protests" over Florida's recount?

Quote:

The Miami GOP "Stop the Counting" Rent-A-Riot

1. Tom Pyle, policy analyst, office of House Majority Whip Tom DeLay (R-Tex.).

2. Garry Malphrus, majority chief counsel and staff director, House Judiciary subcommittee on criminal justice.

3. Rory Cooper, political division staff member at the National Republican Congressional Committee.

4. Kevin Smith, former House Republican conference analyst and more recently of Voter.com.

5. Steven Brophy, former aide to Sen. Fred D. Thompson (R-Tenn.), now working at the consulting firm KPMG.

6. Matt Schlapp, former chief of staff for Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.), now on the Bush campaign staff in Austin.

7. Roger Morse, aide to Rep. Van Hilleary (R-Tenn.).

8. Duane Gibson, aide to Chairman Don Young (R-Alaska) of the House Resources Committee.

9. Chuck Royal, legislative assistant to Rep. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.).

10. Layna McConkey, former legislative assistant to former Rep. Jim Ross Lightfoot (R-Iowa), now at Steelman Health Strategies. _

Identified by readers of the Washington Post who recognized many in the picture @

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/art...-2000Dec5.html

Not to provoke a right-vs-left flame war... just the first captioned example I found of spin-as-news

All governments do it to some degree, some are just sloppier and let the spin show.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Curius....want an even older example of that? Go back to 90-91 "Nayirah", an annonymous Kuwaiti girl testified before Congress that she had witnessed Iraqi soldiers in Kuwait, taking babies out of incubators and letting them die.

Who was "Nayirah"? turns out she was the Kuwaiti Ambassador to the US's daughter.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'm in awe. I know this happens all the time, regardless of the administration, but the conglomeration of manipulation attempts by this particular administration, from the time of its "election" to the day of its (hopeful) demise, is astonishing.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

"Hello, I'm not really a president,

but I play one on TV..."